Polar Express: 2 thumbs up

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
:thumb: :thumb:

Run, don't walk, to your nearest theater to see this movie!!! Along with a lovely Christmas message, is the awesome power and sound of the mighty Berkshire pulling the Polar Express train. The animation is spectacular, and you haven't lived until you've seen a train skidding sideways on ice. Plus there are some great closeup shots.

I really enjoyed this movie, and if you have kids, it's a great one to take them to.

Now, there's been some speculation as to what kind of engine this is. In the movie, there's a little know-it-all kid near the beginning who says the engine is a 2-8-4 Berkshire, but on the original cover of the book by Chris Van Allsberg, there are clearly 4 wheels on the pilot truck. Looks like a 4-6-2 to me, but in the movie it's definitely a Berkshire.

They clearly did their research on this one, and there's even a run-by which is totally awesome. I got that same feeling as when I experienced it for real!

I'm going to take everyone I know to this movie. You really have to experience it in the theater.

Val :thumb: :thumb:

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Val,
Went to see it last night, you're right one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. The ice skating train was indeed near heart-stopping, I was very impressed with the animation of the train, very well done. Hope it makes it to DVD, I definately want this one!!
BTW do you still hear the bells?

2slim

Clark A.

Nov 9, 2004
Garden City, Michigan
Okay guys, got some valuble info here: Train is modeled exactly to Pere Marquette 1225(ironic 12-25[Christmas]) http://mstrp.com/npe you can take rides on this train this Christmas season. This train is from Owosso Michigan....the train that inspired the book.....The railroad institute that owns the train also owns my favorite engine mentioned in my signiture. http://mstrp.com/more040.html and http://mstrp.com/fcc75.html

Clark

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Clark A. said:
Okay guys, got some valuble info here: Train is modeled exactly to Pere Marquette 1225 (ironic 12-25 Christmas] you can take rides on this train this Christmas season. This train is from Owosso Michigan....the train that inspired the book.....
Clark

That's very interesting Clark. I just visited their website, it's pretty cool!

Not to get all serious here, but I'd like to make an important disctinction between the engine that was modelled for the movie[/] (which is now very well documented) and the engine that is depicted in the book.

I read an interview with the book's author and illustrator, Chris Van Allsberg where he says he had a layout as a kid, and has a model of the 20th Century Limited, which if I'm not mistaken is a Hudson!

As for all you enthusiastic movie-goers, how about after the train show on Sat?

Val

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
I agree with Val worth seeing, awsome movie, spectacular animation on both the train and the characters, it keeps your interest throught the whole movie. I also will be purchasing it when it comes out on dvd.. Wife is a teacher and there is a a movie theatre not too far away, wife and a couple of teachers are taking their classes, be about 60 plus kids so I will be seeing it again....Ron

Clark A.

Nov 9, 2004
Garden City, Michigan
Modeled for movie

spitfire said:
That's very interesting Clark. I just visited their website, it's pretty cool!

Not to get all serious here, but I'd like to make an important disctinction between the engine that was modelled for the movie[/] (which is now very well documented) and the engine that is depicted in the book.

I read an interview with the book's author and illustrator, Chris Van Allsberg where he says he had a layout as a kid, and has a model of the 20th Century Limited, which if I'm not mistaken is a Hudson!

As for all you enthusiastic movie-goers, how about after the train show on Sat?

Val

Well Val, they did a huge special on Fox 2 News about it...and it looked JUST like it.....i believe they mentioned a layout or something but he saw this train(Pere Marquette) as a kid in a museum or something and used it to base his ideas on for the book. I believe it first inspired him into trains. Anyway, theres no pics here online that I can find but on the news, it looked just like it.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Val and et al I watched a special little blurp on HBO the other night on how the movie was made. Interesting to say the least, it was not true animation, it was done in a process with the actors wired with like a hundred plus sensors and as they moved the computer generated that image ( with a lot of editing I'm sure) Pretty cool to see Tom Hanks as two different characters and how he brough them to life. Pat

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
spitfire said:
Okay guys, I'll be happy to treat you to a movie. When can you be in Toronto? :D :D

Val
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very nice of you..I shall fire up the C&HV's Leer Jet and fly there...Well as soon as the C&HV can afford to buy the jet fuel. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
spitfire said:
Okay guys, I'll be happy to treat you to a movie. When can you be in Toronto? :D :D

Val
Hey Val, wouldn't you rather come here to the Phoenix area? We're looking at the 70's and 80's shirtsleeve weather. No snow shovels, no chain, no ice scraper for the windshields (these are things I only heard of, but know not of). :D :D I'm sure we could round up a good group here from The Gauge and AMR forums. :wave: :wave:

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
belg said:
Val and et al I watched a special little blurp on HBO the other night on how the movie was made. Interesting to say the least, it was not true animation, it was done in a process with the actors wired with like a hundred plus sensors and as they moved the computer generated that image ( with a lot of editing I'm sure) Pretty cool to see Tom Hanks as two different characters and how he brough them to life. Pat
Its called a MOCAP (or motion capture machine) I have one here in my Animation department, they're pretty cool. Now if only I can persuade my faculty to incorporate building 3D models of various locomotives into thier curriculum we'd be sorted!

Graham

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi All:
Resurecting this thread because my family plus one finally went to see this movie this past weekend. We went to Charleston to the Imax theater where it was playing in 3-D. I don't know what this flick was like to see in a regular theater, but, let me tell you, on a 5 story screen in 3-D it was something else. Good story, good animation, and i think it was a record for the number of roles Tom Hanks has played in any one movie. If you ever get a chance to do this, it's worth the money.

Regards,
Ted

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I took the grandkids to see it, but I have heard IMAX has a large screen, 3-D version... has anyone on the forum seen the IMAX Polar Express yet ? Oh darn....when it comes to the Kansas City Union Station IMAX, I guess I'll have to go again !

Bob ;)