Playing with trains

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LIRR, Jan 2, 2005.

1. LIRR

LIRR Member

Has anyone here read sam poseys book? It's a good read, its amazing the amount of work that guy rolf put into his layout and still remained modest about the whole thing, i'd love to see a book devoted to poseys layout (Yes, i know half the book was about the birth and life of the midland but I'd love to see a book filled with pictures of the amazing scenery we only got a taste of in both ends of the book)

I give this book an 8 out of 10
  2. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

I received it for Christmas, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. From all I've heard, it's a great book.
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

I've read it and enjoyed it. LIRR his layout has been in MR and Great Model Railroads. You can go to Trains.com and do a search on Posey or Colorado Midland, then look to your hearts content.
  4. wjstix

wjstix Member

I just read it over the holidays. It's a good book, I disagree with some of his conclusions - like that there's a battle between 'operations guys' and 'scenery guys'. He overlooks that John Pryke and Tony Keuster are operators but have (or had) excellent scenery.

(BTW - I couldn't find anything on Trains.com about him or the layout??):confused:
  5. Tyson Rayles

When you get to Trains.com click on Model Railroader then do the search.
  6. ausien

ausien Active Member

me either, I have not seen or heard of, this book except for here. I went looking for the sceenics and could not find anything on the trains site,
  7. Tyson Rayles

Sorry it used to be anything that was in the mags was on their web site and you could pull it up and view it. I quit going there because the site was so slow and for a long time you couldn't post pics either. Guess this is one more reason not to go back. I don't understand why the mag. company that is supposed to be the leader in the field has one of the poorest websites I have ever seen.
  8. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

I haven't read the book but agree on your disagreement (huh :confused: ) When I lived in California, I visited an L&N layout in the Santa Barbara area whose design and scenery was fantistic. We met thru the Ops Sig group and he holds regular serious OpSessions. :thumb: