Plaster cloth

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Hi Wildcat and welcome to the Gauge! You could use fiberglass cloth I guess, but IMHO it has a lot of drawbacks. It's messy, the fumes while its curing can be overpowing indoors, Its a pain to clean up after and you would have to drill a lot of holes to plant your trees (which is why I don't use plaster either). Also if you decide later you want to make changes that can be difficult as well. On the other hand it is strong. :D

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by WildCat
Any comments as to whether fibreglass cloth (as used to repair fibreglass boats or cars) would work with plaster in lieu of plaster cloth or guaze?

Hi Wildcat and welcome to the gauge.
Sure it would work, you can use the screen and add plaster to it .

I only ever used the fibreglass used for boats or cars as part of a waterfall, it is ideal for that also. Still, I like the Plaster impregnated cloth bandages.

Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Fiberglass Cloth

Hate to be the "naysayer" on this but I've got a suspicion that fiberglass cloth is not going to work to well with plaster. :( Especially the kind that's used in automotive repair.

Part of plaster's ability to bond to a surface is the ability of the surface to absorb the moisture from the plaster. Since the fiberglass cloth does not absorb water a bond may not be created. You may able to get by with a small area like Shamus' waterfall but large areas may be a problem.

A fiberglass mesh would work for a large area in that the plaster would flow thru the holes in the mesh and create a mechanical bond the same as it does with window screen wire.

That's the science lesson for today:D :D :D :D

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
As suggested, WIldcat, the fiberglass cloth/mesh would not absorb the plaster/moisture mix very well, and may leave you with the equivalent of plaster on plastic. it will just crumble off.

However, do give it a try, on a small experiment, and let us know how it goes? :cool: