Plans for 4-4-0 locomotives?

BrownMouse

Sep 5, 2005
I don't know if this is the proper forum for this, but I can't think of a better one...

Having located a source for spoked drivers as well as other useful stuff in the form of Alan Gibson (Thanks, hminky), I now have run into another problem- plans! I am having trouble locating good drawings of 1850-60 era locomotives. The Model Railroader Cyclopedia has plans, but they all date from about 1873 on, not exactly what I am looking for. I have Civil War Railroads and Models, but the plans are in 1:48 scale do not give useful information such as driver size, overall length, and other dimensions that would allow me to scale them down accurately. I am not sure that the plans are very accurate anyway. So, do any of you have any ideas were else I could look?
Thanks,
Elnathan

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Get a copy of John White's A History of the American Locomotive-Its Development:1830-1880 it has plans.

Harold

BrownMouse

Sep 5, 2005
Thanks again, hminky. I am sorry about taking so long to reply. I had actually looked through that book at the hobby shop back when I was mainly concerned with finding the Model Railroader issues that dealt with the scratchbuilding of a tenwheeler, and vaguely remembered that it was lacking in some way, but was not able to get back to the hobby shop until today to examine it again. I can't remember why I thought the plans wouldn't work, and think I will try to use one of his plans.

BrownMouse

Sep 5, 2005
Just the plans. MR ran a series from October '97 to April '98 on scratchbuilding a ten-wheeler that I am going to use for basic directions. Of course, if you know of any articles dealing specifically with building 4-4-0s, or any early locomotives, I'd be glad to hear of them, but I think I am all set for the moment.

Elnathan