pictures of pictures

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by cn nutbar, Apr 13, 2006.

1. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

hello all---i don't have a scanner,so i've been attempting to take photos of some of my photographs using my digital camera---even though the images appear a bit muted,they still don't look too bad ???? here's a selection of steam engines for your review

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the top photo shows cpr 2816 taken during a tour to hamilton ontario in 2004,strasburg #90 in east strasburg pa.,and cnr 3254 at scranton pa.hope you enjoy
  2. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Wow I am impressed. You did a fantastic job.
    Les
  3. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

These are really cool :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Yeah I've done that before because I still have yet to get a scanner. They actually come out pretty decent surprisingly enough.
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Questions:

1) Are these prints or slides you are taking pictures of?

2) If prints, how large are they?

3) How are you handling the lighting? I would assume not with a flash :)

they look great. I have tried taking photos of some paintings, and have very limited success. Of course, the paintings are too large for a scanner.

kevin
  6. cn nutbar

cn nutbar Member

good day everyone---thanks for your feedback---kevin,all the photos are 4 by 6 prints.no special lighting/no flash---because they were glossy finish,i tried to avoid glare by avoiding overhead lighting---basically trial and error technique---believe me,there were many rejects---this photo shows the glaring effect

[​IMG]
  7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Those look great. It's surprising what you can do if you put your mind and equipment to work. :thumb: :thumb:

Some of those muted shots should be able to be sharpened up a bit using a photo app. Even when I take a normal picture I try the "auto levels" or "auto contrast" features to see what they will do to a photo. Some apps will allow you to reduce glare and "sharpen" an image. Sometimes these effects don't help or don't look right, so I just "undo" the changes.
  8. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Pictures.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: