Pictures of our Mini-Train Show

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
What a great way to introduce this hobby to the public. Judy you and Glen are to be congratulated on doing an excellent job. I hope this has brought more traffic to the restaurant too.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It is great that you also have a boss who is willing to allow you to tie up that much space with train layouts and "hands on" modeling workshops! Also that one little guy in the picture doing switching has excellent taste in railroads! Good work.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Judy, this is truly a great job what you and Glen are doing! Our future lies in the hand of today's kids - and we should use every opportunity to show them something which is constructive and positive. (Compare that with the usual computer 'games' - objective: Best is who kills most :mad: :mad: :mad: )

The quality of your layouts is first class advertisement for our hobby. Also your tree clinic is a great idea. It shows the kids that model railroadiing is more than putting up an oval of tracks and then simply 'let 'em run'. :)

Hey, I just noted that I'm only speaking of kids. Looking at the pictures I get the idea that also some grown-ups could be hooked for model railroading... :D :D :D

Again, thanks for a great job well done!

Ron

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Originally posted by Russ Bellinis
It is great that you also have a boss who is willing to allow you to tie up that much space with train layouts and "hands on" modeling workshops! Also that one little guy in the picture doing switching has excellent taste in railroads! Good work.

He is a great guy. He doesn't always understand my interest in this hobby, but he knows that it draws business. Actually we didn't take up as much space as it looked. But the restaurant is pretty good sized.

Thanks for all the kind words and the support. I think, to me, that is what sets this forum apart from the others that I'm on.

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Hey gang - just wanted to let you know that as a result of this mini train display at the restaurant, the parents of the little red-haired fellow (from the earlier pictures in this thread) have purchased him a Kato N scale starter set for his 5th birthday. They came in for dinner last night and were telling me all about it.

His mom and dad were telling me that when they went to the hobby shop and wanted to buy an N scale starter set the people at the hobby shop told them he was too little. So, the hobby shop employees set up an N scale test track and the little guy easily railed and played with the cars with no problem. The staff was quite impressed how easily he took to N scale. They (the staff) had been pushing his parents toward HO scale.

His parents said that coming to the display at the restaurant helped to make up their minds that he was ready for a train set and which scale to choose for him because we had already let him play with the different layouts.

So, we can add one more future MRR enthusiast!!

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
That is a touching story, Judy!

One more kid you JUST KNOW will turn out with a golden heart, thanks to encouragement from fine folk like yourself!

I'm also pleased that they got him one of the best available - Kato's aren't cheap! That is a tremendous way to encourage a child's interest. A music teacher once told me - There's nothing like a fine instrument to encourage you to learn to play it. The same holds true to MRR, don't you think? ;) ;)

-Alex

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Great Job!

What a truly wonderful pair of ambassadors you are for this hobby! Looks like almost everyone, parents included, are either hooked, or well on their way. Here's hoping for some newspaper exposure the next time around.

I wish I'd been there - looked like lots of fun. :)