picture resizer program

leon

Jun 12, 2007
704 Linden Ave., Johnstown, Pa 15902
I am looking for a program that will print out a picture in the size I want and not the original size. I have a program that will resize a picture down to HO but when I print it out the print-out is the size of the original picture. I am trying to make building out of card stock and I just can't seem to get a graphics program that is suitable for me. Any advice would be helpful I am sure.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I use Gimp: www.gimp.org . It is my favourite program when it comes to editing bitmap files. If you would like to make a picture smaller I suggest not to resize the picture pixel-wise (because that would reduce / destroy the detail). Instead you should change the resolution. So the image pixel count stays the same but the print out is much better because the detail is concentrated in a smaller output. The higher the resolution the smaller the output (if the pixel count is unchanged).

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have to 2nd XNView. I use that program almost every day. With it's ability to capture from "PRNT SCRN" and "Copy from Clipboard" you can pictures in stunning detail that are otherwise not downloadable. Resizing is fantastic, and so easy to do with XNView. It will take Renders from Rhino3D that are 2 mg.s and reduce them to XVGA which is fine for posting, and the size is only 30 to 50 kilobytes without any loss of detail. It is fantastic. :)

Herbert Marcuse

Jun 24, 2014
Basically I wouldn't resize the pic itself. Just apply the needed scaling in the print out process. Most printer drivers will give you the opportunity to change the print scaling on the fly. Thus, you won't alter the original image file - and if you ever switch to another scale model world, you can resuse the image, by just printing it in another scale.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That does not work if you are scaling up and need to rearrange parts. XNView and these other programs offer much more than just scaling, they are free and worth trying. Limiting yourself to the printer is really limiting yourself. Most people know about printer scaling. These programs go a bit past that. :)