Photo Fun 6-6-08

tomkat13

Jun 2, 2007
www.usgennet.org
update

I have started on the roads....& grade crossings. (far from complete)
Before:
IMG_5579.jpg

So far....
IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

Any questions and/or comments welcomed....always looking to learn something new!

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Acomplished only with my fingers, a really small flathead screwdriver, and mass uses of choice 4-letter words:
000_0021.JPG

Yes, those are Kadee knuckle coupler springs in those trucks, and yes, they were one :curse::curse::curse::curse: of a pain in the :curse::curse::curse: to get in there. These are from a REALLY old Walthers kit (complete with hornhooks!), an ATSF wood boxcar, that one of my assistant scoutmasters, himself an O scale guy, gave to me. I put Testor's hobby glue to keep the truck together, because I did NOT consider this fun while doing it! What the :curse: was Walthers thinking when they made you use real springs in the trucks?:cry: At least the rest of the kit looks decent and somewhat fun to build:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, speaking of scouting, I got my RR merit badge, the only one in the entire troop no less!:mrgreen:

e-paw

Mar 16, 2007
saylorsburg pa
I have also found the use of 4 letter a big help on difficult projects:mrgreen:. I just have to side line the ''sailor talk'' :eek: when the kids are around the work bench. Nice work all.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Took these two today. One is of a flatbed being loaded at the lumberyard, as seen through the slats on a centerbeam. The other is from atop a new truss bridge being put in.

Attachments

• DSCN2322.JPG
    DSCN2322.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2323.JPG
    DSCN2323.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 11

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Sprung Trucks

CNWman: I remember assembling trucks like that, once or twice!
Always run a piece of thread through the spring before trying to insert it -- do that for coupler springs as well.
The supplied springs are so stiff that the truck is now solid for all practical purposes (except twisting to take axles in/out). Some Kadee springs (not the knuckle ones) might have more give, but the usual springs would only actually track if you cast the car in solid lead.
My first Athearn car had little rubber blocks where one side was moulded to look (a bit) like springs. These were totally impossible to insert, even after filing the spring nubs off.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
great pics guys but i have to mention a couple
shaygetz-AMAZING bigboy,i had to double take that one :eek:
Ralph-that camera does your layout so much more justice than the old one,the quality is great :thumb:
--josh

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Great pics all...Ralph, that sure is sumpin' to look at..!! And I see that shop is pushing Lionel trains..!! Any chance of getting some AF stuff there..??

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks. I really like this camera! Sorry Gus, the Lionel billboard is inexplicably atop a coffee shop! :) I should turn it into a hobby shop instead.

Ralph