Phoenix railfanning

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I recall visiting that yard back in '69 while on vacation and recall seeing Alco switchers working the yard..

Russ,I suspect they make light running repairs at Phoenix and send other repairs to Barstow.

I had the same thought, Brakie, but if I remember correctly BNS is trying to move as much of the heavy repairs as possible North to Yakima Wash.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I remember going there when the roundhouse was still standing a'bet only two stall's but still!...also missing is the open sided caboose shop that was to the west and just behind those two pits shown....
That got me to thinkin' I should check out the topographical maps for this area since they are notoriously out of date and might show a little more information. Bingo... sort of. The 1:24,000 topo map has a date of 1978 and it does indeed show the roundhouse and some other structures behind it. I am assuming those are the caboose shops you were referring to. Upon looking closer at the roundhouse, it appears, at that time, to have been a four staller.
I tried looking at the map from 1954 but it was only available at a scale of 1:250,000 and the detail simply was not there to be seen. The most interesting feature of that map, however, was the lack of highways disecting the city!

Here's the topo map from 1978... I also just noticed that this map shows I-17 but does not show I-10 connecting. Today I-10 crosses this yard east/west about 1/3 of the way down.

phoenix_yard1.jpg

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Nice find. In 1978, I-10 hadn't made it too much past the Brenda Cutoff. That's where US60 meets it this side of Quartzite. As I recall, it was about ten years later before they finished it.

A bit of historical trivia, that section of I-10through downtown and connecting to I-17 near the airport, was the section that completed I-10 from coast to coast, about 35 years after they started building the interstate system.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: You can't say that we Arizonans don't resist change.:p :p

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
you mean you guys could not make out that there used to be a round house there? that was the first thing i seen,,,

clues....

1. a turntable
2. angle of the 2 tracks .
3. the big wedge shape of the concrete pad.

the big white tank is in one corner of the roundhouse . the 5 white vans are along the other wall of the roundhouse, (like they was parked outside of it along the wall.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I went down to the local yard again today hoping to get permission to climb into an idle engine so that I could get a cab shot for my project. Since I showed up in my shorts and sneakers, I was politely informed that I was not wearing proper attire and if I were to get injured, they would be liable. Boots and Jeans! That's fine, I can respect the rules and will comply at a later date but perhaps they would like to hold my hand as I cross the parking lot in case I trip and scrape my knee. I did however capture some more shots while I was down there (without getting injured)!

DCP_7143.JPG

DCP_7144.JPG

DCP_7128.JPG

DCP_7125.JPG

DCP_7124.JPG

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
A Dash-8 with swoosh logo! Now that is cool. The Dash-8's and gp60's have a special place in my heart. The last four axel engines of their respective makers. I am glad that the green goats and gensets are 4 axel, so they are not disappearing from the railroads. That GP38 with the swoosh looks nice, I wonder if BNSF will swoosh their GP30's as well.