Pavement markings

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Still working on my "N" scale modules and was about to add the road markings. Modeling the early 40's and I don't know what color to use for the center stripes - yellow or white. Was a little to young to drive back in the 40's but I think the center lines were all white and later, time unknown, the U.S. went to a yellow for road division. Surf'd every thing I could think of on the internet and searched some old magazines to no avail. Anyone know? :confused:

Bill I think that will vary according to where you are modeling. That was before the interstate hwy. system and I believe it was left up to each state. As best as I can remember (early 50's) in Fla. and Ga. they were white. But that WAS A VERY LONG time ago. :D

Tyson and Robin, appreciate the response. Will go with the white, pretty sure that the U.S. went to the yellow in the early 60's. Took a pole with family members and they were trying to tell me they were always yellow. "Ya sure youngin - in your lifetime maybe." Another plus on the white is that the gel markers I plan on using come out darker with the white. Tried several yellows and they are too pastel and faded looking. :rolleyes:

While we're talking about roads:
In N Scale, How wide in inches are;\
County roads,
Two lane highways, State & Fed,
City two lane &
Four lane State & Interstate?

Anybody know? Reference?

Dunno exactly, but I would suggest that you use whatever looks right to you. Reason being is that if you scaled it from the prototype it might be too wide to fit.

I have it in my mind that a 2 lane road is 33 feet wide, over shoulders. This is just under 2.5" in N scale.
I think if we measure it, a highway lane is about twice the width of an average car. This looks too wide on a model; I would cut it down to 1 1/2 times, but wider than a big truck.
I'll see tonight if the NMRA data sheets say anything.

Road widths

NMRA data sheet D2g @April 1957
Defines the roads by Daily Traffic.
>20000 2x24' pavements + 10' shoulders. minimum ROW 200'
4000-20000 2x24' pavements + 10' shoulders. minimum ROW 125'
750-4000 2x11' or 12' pavements + 8'-12' shoulders. minimum ROW 100'
300-750 2x11' or 12' pavements + 6'-8' shoulders. minimum ROW 100'
<300 2x24' pavements + 6'-8' shoulders. minimum ROW 100'
Lowest: 20' minimum (2 lanes) + 4'-8' shoulders. minimum ROW 66'
or 10'-14' one lane

Maximum grade ranges from 3% to 7%.
First 2 are superhighways; last 2 may be city streets, rural roads.
ROW is Right of Way width.
Hope this makes sense.