Patriotism in the hobby...

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Every day you turn on the news and hear of layoffs, closings, and "out-sourcing". I am patriotic, and want to do my part to stop the job loss in the country, but even though I proudly own an "American" car, I have Kato track, Kato engines and probably a million other things made overseas. I wanna sell it all on Ebay so I don't feel like a hypocrite! Am I wrong? Is there any N scale products that are 100% made in USA?

Your thoughts...

mark

Oct 3, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Csxengineer,
I have a thought regarding what is made in America. In 1994 I was in the market for a new car. In my quest I made some interesting discoveries. I looked into the Dodge Caravan and found out that it was made in Canada. I got an article from road and Track magazine and it stated that (I believe) the Ford Explorer was made in Mexico. This article had several other models of so called American cars that were not made in the states. I decided to purchase a Nissan Altima which was made in Sebring Tenn. So keep your eyes open to what is foriegn and what is domestic.

Hello csxengineer,

I don't think I would enjoy throwing out all my American made stuff and boycotting anything made in America just because I live in Canada.

I doubt whether the economies of Canada or America would be in the least affected if every Canadian did as you suggest and only buy 'made at home'.

I hardly consider patriotism to be a factor in purchasing any hobby products. It's not as if America doesn't buy anything from Canada. Do you happen to know the trade balance figures for the countries you are considering boycotting?

By the way this www thing we are all enjoying here was invented by a Brit in Switzerland. I do hope your patriotic proclivities don't prevent your continued use of this forum. :)

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I echo Tony sentiments and further state that patriatism comes from inside your heart and mind. If you feel thats the way to go about it noone can tell you not to but it seems silly to me. Maybe a smarter way to go about it is now that your more aware of what is made where buy only those products you feel good about . Pat

C

Catt

Those products that we buy that are made offshore are still removed from that ship in the harbor by Americans. They are hauled to a warehouse by Americans.They are delivered to your store by Americans.They were sold to you by Americans.If they need repairs they are fixed by Americans.

There are probly more Japanese automobiles produced in this country than in Japan.These are built by Americans.

True we may be losing production to other countries but the sales and service is still done by Americans.I have no problems with offshore product at all.In all truthfulness it usually is a better product.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
csxengineer - Glad you are patriotic! I think every person should be patriotic to their country they are citizen of and be respectul of the country they live in (if not a citizen there), and should abide by the laws of both. Anyone not loyal to the country they live in should get out, or if a citizen, change it. Each and every one of us is luckily financially blessed, most of us by dumb luck, by being born in the right place. The very fact that you have a PC, internet access, a hobby, and time to spend on these (as apposed to looking for your next meal) is proof that we are among the elete wealthy on our Earth. This is reason IMHO to thank God and country. I am unable to understand someone who is not patriotic.

In todays global economy, you may be hard pressed to be "product loyal" to your country. As Catt said, you might be surprised to find out how much of your dollar spent on a Chinese product goes to Americanos. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying, or giving the local made first dibs. Some folks will extend this to locally made within their nation.

I think about where things are made. To me it makes a difference, but you are all my friends, and if you don't share American citizenship with me, I don't mind if some of my money spent helps your citizens and residents live better. We're all people in the end.

LB, I think if Canadians boycotted our markets it would hurt. Or if Canada refused to sell to us the products and commodities. I believe our economies are intertwined, and I believe we are all better for it. Just my beliefs, I'm certainly not an economist. You are my friends, and because of that, you will not hear me saying things to hurt your economy, your country or your goverment. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anyone else has said anything hurtfull here, I'm just philosophising :D

I think that's right, Belg, it's in your heart. Hopefully, we don't have to act on it and we all get along :D

F

Fred_M

Patriotism and religion can sometimes cloud ones judgement and cause people to do the wrong things for what appear at the time as good reasons. I'm thinking that this may be one of them times for you. The US economy is based on importing and exporting goods as well as doing service work. We can't make it all, or buy it all. Buy USA is a false ideal which would hurt the US economy very badly. FRED

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
This is an issue that I have wrestled with ever since NAFTA was rammed down our throats (despite promises to the contrary). Here in Canada we too have watched manufacturing jobs disappear forever as companies move their operations to countries where there are no barriers to productivity - barriers like human rights, environmental laws and minimum wage standards.

I try to buy locally wherever possible. I have already lost my 2 favourite hardware stores to the invasion by Home Depot. I don't mind paying a little bit more, which I find you have to do.

And yet how can you blame people for wanting to pay the lowest price?

Personally, I think that being aware and boycotting products that are made in the maquilladoras of this world is an important tool, and the only one that we as consumers have. Companies like Nike for example, who reportedly pay Michael Jordan more for his endorsements than they pay all their other employees combined will not get my business.

I think this consumer pressure can actually have results. Disney had to pull their T-shirt manufacturing out of the Haitian sweatshops because it was tarnishing their image.

On the other hand, the world is a closed system. Eventually the multinationals will run out of countries to exploit as one after another of their slave labour forces begin to unionize or otherwise demand better conditions. Granted this will probably not happen in my lifetime, but it's nice to know that their rapcious days are numbered.

In the meantime - act locally, think globally.

cheers
Val

CSX ,
Even give some consideration to the fact Kato has a location in the USA with American employees (KatoUSA)and what sets them apart is the Great customer service from them. Also Micro Trains and Kadee are made here.
PS I own a Ford Motorhome , Chevy Pickup and Suzuki SUV but my land and home are American made and owned.
31 Years with CWA union 7001 Mountain States telephone, Mountain Bell, US West , and Qwest.
Mike Fifer

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
A couple of things to consider...

The phrase "Made in America" includes products manufactured or assembled in North, Central and South America. It includes products assembled in all three Americas using imported parts. (thank you NAFTA)

The Ford Motor company includes not only Ford, Lincoln and Mercury, but also Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Aston Martin and Volvo. (Don't even get me started on Diamler-Chrysler)

The dividing line between foriegn and domestic is vague at best and non-existant in most cases. Buy quality products from local buisness and rest easy knowing you are supporting your community.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
My will for this one ended when the Army bought it's pretty new berets from China. There comes a point in a sinking ship when you have to stop bailing and enjoy the view.