Parabolic curves

NBS2005

Feb 9, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Does anyone use these for their layout? The idea is that the transition from increasingly tighter radius curve to a minimum at apex, then opening back up again gives better operation and is more prototypical. Any one doing this?

Also, how many HO loco's can the PowerCab run in stock form (without the booster)? Figure newer Atlas loco's.

Thanks,

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
They are called transition curves or spiral easements, more commonly just easements. I have an old track engineering manual. I think it has the formula for calculating one in it.

As mentioned, they are not parabolas, but in some cases are something called a cubic parabola.

Edit: Here is a link to a PDF that talks about track easements, among other things:

http://www.arema.org/eseries/scriptcontent/custom/e_arema/Practical_Guide/PGChapter6.pdf

Ironhead

Feb 6, 2007
I work easement into my curves, and wow, what a difference. It takes the edge off the tighter radius for sure.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I've done easments on my visible curves. operation looks alot more smooth that way. Mostly I added a couple inches to where the curve would begin and 'eye-ball' the easement in.