Painting Questions

sabretooth47

Aug 21, 2006
Depew, NY (Buffalo)
I've tried several different ways to paint models over the 17 years or so I've been modelling, and I can't really say I've found something that works for me everytime.

The thing is that I'm doing this EL Bicentennial project on an expensive diesel that I don't want to screw up. :thumb:

I'm going to be using Testors Model Masters spray paints for the final paint job (I've had better luck controlling consistancy versus airbrushing -- probably cuz I don't have a quality airbrush or compressor yet). But I'm having some doubts on how to proceed.

I was originally going to put a primer down on the body...but I got to thinking that all this might do is create a layer of paint that's not really necessary.

And if I should use a primer paint layer...does it have to be "primer", or just a thin layer of, say, Light Aircraft Gray?

I figure if I just clean the body with soap-and-water-and-toothbrush, this should allow decent contact and consistancy with the paint, would it not?

While I question that portion of the paint, I did find a great tool to create straight lines in the stripes. A few years back, I bought a product called "Micro-Mask". Basically, it's a brush on goop that dries to a rubbery substance -- but it protects the paint underneath. Once painting in complete, you peel of the mask much like tape, but no worries about paint leaking underneath. I highly recommend it.

Another trick I may try: I read a tip somewhere that, once you tape off the area you want to paint, spray a light coat of clearcoat on to the area. Let the clearcoat dry for about 30 minutes, then spray or brush your paint. The clearcoat seals any areas along the tape lines that may have allowed paint to seep through originally...thus, no leakage and perfectly straight lines.

Any other tips out there I may want to employ on this little project of mine?

Thanks!

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I always put a coat of primer down. Usually a light gray. Gives the cover coat someting to bond to. My very first custom paint I did on a Kato N scale GP-35 with out primer. After maybe two years of handling the loco, the cover paint came off so I could see the black, undecorated shell. I did wash with soap and water first, and shot the shell with Glosscoat.. After that, I started priming.
As far as the last tip you heard about, its the same color you are masking over. Example: You're painting a red stripe. Spray the red, mask, then spray the red again over the mask. Let it dry, then spray the next color.
I too use "Shake the can" spray paints. I'm finding the Krylon "Fusion" does a great job. It says it don't need priming, but again, I still do.
Good luck and keep us posted.

sabretooth47

Aug 21, 2006
Depew, NY (Buffalo)
eightyeightfan1 said:
As far as the last tip you heard about, its the same color you are masking over. Example: You're painting a red stripe. Spray the red, mask, then spray the red again over the mask. Let it dry, then spray the next color.

I'm glad I brought that up...your way seems to make much more sense than adding the dull cote -- I'll be using your method :thumb:

It amazing that I never heard of that way of painting lines, but yet it seems so simple and obvious -- I could kick myself :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help!