OZ question

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
OK - This calendar of mine has me curious again - for today it indicates "Eight Hours Day (Australia - TAS)". What in the world is Eight Hours Day???

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Labour Day

Today is a public holiday in some states of Australia. (Victoria & Tasmania). The Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix is held on this long weekend every March in Melbourne.

It is not called "8 hour day" here, but "Labour Day" holiday. It celebrated the granting of the 40 hour week. (5 days * 8 hours). 8 hours work, 8 hours play, 8 hours sleep. The 8 hour day was enshrined in legislation in 1871. Labour Day is in October (NSW) August (Queensland) and October (SA & WA).

Just another excuse of a long weekend. New Zealand may the the "Land of the Long White Cloud", Australia is "The Land of the Long Weekend"!

What does it say on your calendar for Nov 5th 2002?

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Just like a launch, I sat there in disbelief wondering where the red flag was. I guess as long as Schumi doesn't get taken out, the show can go on. My boy Juan looked good for a few laps but D@#*! that Ferrari is incredible, and MS' move was brilliant.

Ya gotta feel sorry for DC though, I'm begining to think its a conspiracy.

see the action here:

http://www.formula1.com/races/racenews02/pics/australia/sunday020303/imralfstart.html

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
I didn't watch the GP! The Swannies were playing footy! Hawthorn in the pre-season trophy...... and we won! Only 4 teams left now, in the "knockout rounds". The game was in Melbourne too. (How come everything happens in Melbourne?????)

Three New Zealanders and three Aussies were in London and decided to travel by train to see the British Formula 1 Grand Prix at Brands Hatch.
At the station, the three Kiwis each buy a ticket and watch as the three Aussies buy just one ticket between them. "How are the three of you going to travel by train on only one ticket?" asks one of the Kiwis. "Watch and learn," answers one of the Aussies. They all board the train. The Kiwis take their respective seats but all three Aussies cram into a toilet and close the door behind them. Shortly after the train has departed, the conductor comes around collecting tickets. He knocks on the toilet door and says, "Ticket please." The door opens just a crack and a single arm emerges with a ticket in hand. The conductor takes it and moves on.
The Kiwis see this and agree it was quite a clever idea. So after the race, they decide to copy the Aussies on the return trip and save some money (being clever with money, and all that). When they get to the station, they buy a single ticket for the return trip. To their astonishment, the Aussies don't buy a ticket at all!!
"How are you going to travel without a ticket?" says one perplexed Kiwi. "Watch and learn," answers an Aussie.
When they board the train the three Kiwis cram into a toilet and soon after the three Aussies cram into another nearby. The train departs. Shortly afterwards, one of the Aussies leaves the toilet and walks over to the toilet where the Kiwis are hiding. He knocks on the door and says, "Ticket please."
:D :p :D :p

By the way..... any takers on what's significant about Tuesday 5th November 2002. (First Tuesday in Novemeber), and no, it's not the US Presidential Elections. What's noted on everyone's calander?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Limbo Day??

Bill,

Sorta close. It has to do with railings but going OVER them, not under. (Unless you're trying to get in for free!!)
The 2nd Tuesday in November is Melbourne Cup Day. Only place in the world where there is a public holiday so you can go to the horse races! Oh well! Any excuse, I suppose for a day off! :eek: