Orangeville Station burns

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by MasonJar, Apr 20, 2004.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

2. interurban

interurban Active Member

That`s a darn shame.. I do hope the get up and running again.
  3. MasonJar

Thanks Chris,

I do hope they can restore it. I used to go past the station several times each day on my way to and from school. I was also there when they moved it from the yard to downtown - quite a sight!

Andrew
  4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

That is a sad story Andrew. Can it really be restored or now with new building codes in place I wonder if it will have to change much.
  5. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Let's hope they can restore it. The Witch's Hat is a true architectual heritage building.
  6. cobra

cobra Member

I was very saddened to hear the news of the fire in Orangeville . I lived in that general area from 1969- 1988 and passed through the town many times . Restoring and/or repairing a structure of that vintage will be costly and time consuming . Lets all hope and pray that the station is not razed .
    Will , i know that this is very near and dear to you for many reasons . Please keep me posted from time to time on the progress as I live a few hundred miles away from that area now , and don't receive local news .

Thanks , Neil
  7. MasonJar

Hi Neil,

I lived in Orangeville until 1986 - from '78-'86 right next to the tracks at John Street. Where were you located?

Andrew
  8. Will_annand

Neil, I live up in Huntsville now. But I am keeping my eye on this one. Always liked the look of that building.
  9. cobra

cobra Member

I went to University of Guelph starting in '69 ( no not an Aggie ) and married and stayed in the area Fergus , Belwood , Drayton , K-W until '88 when I came back south . My work used to take me through Orangeville fairly often , had friends in Beeton ....you get the idea .
    I hate when landmarks are damaged because the people with strong feelings for the structure are probably ( I'm guessing ) in the minority . Lets hope they don't have to pass the hat to get things repaired . Lets hope the damage isn't so widespread that they feel they want to demolish it .

Neil
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Restoration

I went by the Orangeville station today and they are in full swing repairing it. It has a new roof and they were starting on shingles. The interior is completely gone and all the door and window openings are empty.
    The owner came out to ask me why I was photographing it; I guess he's had a lot of official busybodies poking at it.
    I saw a report that said there was $800,000 damage.
    (Photos will follow if I can get them shrunk.)
  11. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

That's great news Andrew!!!! Looking forward to seeing some pix!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

John Rendall Models used to make a witch's hat station kit in HO. I'm really sorry I didn't get one when the getting was good, because his is another Canadian model company that has disappeared. :cry:

Val
  12. Will_annand

Well Val, unfortunately John passed away.
    JV Scale Models picked up most of his kits, but unfortunately NOT the CP Sataion.
  13. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I don't see the story. But that is a shame. :(
  14. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Photos

As promised. (My first attempt at posting something from my digital camera.)

Attached Files:

15. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

End view of the station.

Attached Files:

16. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thanks for the photos David. Nice to see the old place recovering
  17. MasonJar

Hi David,

Thanks for providing the photos. It looks like there is a lot of space around the station... Is this really the case, or is it just an illusion? I seem to recall that they had to "shoehorn" it into its new downtown location when they moved it...?

Andrew
  18. cobra

cobra Member

Looks like progress is being made to put her back to use ...that's great news . Keep us posted .
    Thanks , Neil
  19. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Andrew: there's a small parking lot on both sides -- about two lanes on the east side. The lot is shared with the motor vehicles office and a few stores. The other side is fenced off for reconstruction just now.
  20. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Will, I didn't know that. Too bad. I wonder why JV Scale didn't pick up the station kit? Wonder what ever became of the molds too?

Val