On30 Diorama

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This is a little On30 diorama I'm building to get some practice working in this scale before I attempt to build a layout...Got a little bit of scenery on it yesterday...

ahg.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Pete,

I appreciate that…this is a whole new world for me!

I’ve done a little more work since the last post…

Originally, in order to disguise the fact that I was using regular HO code 100 track, I buried the ties with Sculptamold, covered with dirt, to represent a seldom used spur track, with just rails sticking up out of the ground…Well, this didn’t turn out as good as I had hoped, so in one of those late-night fits of inspiration, I tore up the track, & replaced it with some more HO track…this time removing about half the ties to make it look a little more “narrow gaugy”…

ahi.jpg

I’ve also started a scratchbuilt line side shed…This is the first time I’ve built anything in O scale, & I’m also a newbie at working with real wood…after a failed attempt to frame t5he structure with square balsa stock, I resorted to building a sub-wall assembly out of heavy cardstock, painted black…

ahl.jpg

I’m now in the process of glueing basswood planks to the cardstock sub-wall…

I traded some of my N scale stuff to my friend Ken, for this little Porter, & some other On30 stuff…

ahj.jpg

I removed the PRR lettering on the side of the tank, painted those pretty little red window frames engine black, dirtied everything up quite a bit, & re-lettered the engine for the Ky Rock & Asphalt Co (Ky R&A)

I left the original road #1...

ahk.jpg

Here’s the other side of the little Porter…

ahm.jpg

Well, that’s all for now…