OMG - It's snowing!!!

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Hey Val....TROC [The Rest of Canada] still gets a chuckle that your Mayor Mel actually had enough Federal "pull" to get the ARMY to come and help clear your last major snowstorm a couple of years back....just a chuckle though...we're not jealous, even those of us that get way more snow than Toronto does, honest, we're not.
We only get snow 8 months a year, and you get Mel for all 12!!!
;)

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Ted, When I lived in NH in the 70-80 time period I remember in most years having a snow storm around the middle of November and not seeing the bare ground again until March. In some years we had blizzards in May.

Mike R. If you remember the heavy snows that the Lake coasts had during the 1970's you might remember Buffalo, NY getting buried regularly and they called out the 101st Infantry (Snow fighters) with their heavy equipment to "unbury" them. I worked for the Govt, in Boston in '78 when we had a nor'easter come up the coast and bury Boston. Shut it down for 5 days under over 4 feet of snow in a 2 day storm then added another foot a day later. About 500 cars abandoned on the 128 beltway. The 101st came up on that one also with the front end loaders and MPs to keep control. Trains hauled snow south and west. State police blocked the borders into Massachusetts and did not allow traffic into the state for 3 days.

Quite an experience.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Snow in Toronto

Mike:
I took the GO train to work that day. They made an announcement at the second last stop (by the subway station) that there waould be a delay getting in to Union Station; I decided to stay with the train because I'd heard the subway was having problems (lots of Toronto subway is out in the open). We got on to the approaches to Union and stopped. I got to work at 2 pm, just in time to leave for home. Luckily, I had my lunch with me.
Problem was, there's a string of double slip switches going into Union, and every train that went through pushed snow into them and they had to be dug out before they could be thrown and they had to be thrown so the train in the station could get back out.

We had one last winter where I shovelled the driveway, then backed out and got stuck in the unplowed street. All the guys came over and pushed me back onto the driveway. Didn't get out until the next morning.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Hi Bill.
You can't be talking about me. I have lived in California since 1955, the first 5 years in the north part where we got blizzards for days at at time. before that I was born and raised in Bellingham Wash. and lived there for the first 17 years of my life. I started out with a 1929 Ford Roadster. Quite often we would get several feet of snow and one winter, I believe it was 1949 or 50 when all the roads and hiways were blocked. We had drifts up to 8 feet high. My Model A with the high wheels plowed right through most of the drifts. If the drifts were to high I took another route but always arrived where I wanted to. Being a kid at the time I really loved it. A Aunt and Uncle were stranded out on the farm and food was running low. Per a phone call, I found a store that was open, loaded up the rumble seat with food and headed for the country. It took me about 3 hours to travel 16 miles what with the detours and stuff but I made it. That trip was fun. Of coarse I was only 16 at the time.