oil and grease

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
Ok I think I saw a post on here where to and how to grease and oil my engines or a site thats shows the hows and toos:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :D rich

ps due to a major buyout I have about 25 engines that need good cleaning and lube job:D :D :D :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Rich, I not going into a "how to" here but I highly reccomend the Labelle Lubricants for model railroad use. You want to use the ones that are plastic compatible. I've seen many a set of gears/axels ruined by using the wrong kind of oil and grease.

In general if it moves it probably needs to be lubricated. With your older locos that you got it would probably be best to clean as much of the old oil and grease off as you can with alcohol and then use fresh lubricant.

When oiling use just a small amount...a drop about the size of the point of a needle is just about right. When oiling motor bearings be very sparing with the oil so that it doesn't creep into the commutator of the motor. Oil doesn't stay on gears too well so you want to use some kind of grease. Again I reccomend Labelle Plastic Compatible Teflon Grease. For metal gears I reccomend their gear lubricant. But if they are metal and plastic use the teflon grease.

Just go about cleaning and lubricating your locos as if you were doing a watch movement and you'll be amazed at how well they run.

Hope this helps. :)

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
well thats what I pick up at the train store I found the other day and got two runing great so far god I need better eye site n-scale alot of fun:mad: :D rich

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Rich:
What Vic said. Also I find that Labelle oil runs rather freely out of the needle and down the side of the bottle. Get a scrap of aluminum foil or waxed paper and put a drop of oil on that, then use a needle or piece of fine wire to put a very small drop only where you need it.
I have Labelle oils in bottles and long tubes. The tubes are not stable, so try making a stand by putting a suitable size hole in some foam and standing the oil in that.

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
thanks guys all done all but one steamer running like new alot of them looked like they never had any thing on them at all and the steamer motor runs but when I put it back to together nothing something jamming it up inside so will be working on that later got more coming in the mail:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D rich