Next SPI release - building report

Leif Oh

OK, so this time you'll probably have to get a few more hints in, before somebody hits the nail. For starters, narrowing it down: Single pilot, singe rearward-facing gunner, bucket seats - ergo probably WWII, probably single engine dive bomber or torpedo aircraft.

If I knew my aircraft interiors better, the panels probably would give it away. But since I don't, a first far-out guess would be a torpedo aircraft (there are so many Stukas around already). How about a Douglas (forgot the name of the precise type). -L.

wunwinglow

Good grief!! I am just thankful the Nazi's wasted so much time, effort and resources on wacky madness like this, instead on concentrating on a handful of sensible designs!!

Tim P

Gil

Tim,

Someone tore the original blueprint and not wanting to be found out taped the blueprints together wrong way round and ran them through the blueprint machine. Unfortunately the misdeed wasn't discovered till the main presentation by Junkers sales staff in Berlin. It was total embarassment..., an unintended consequence of all this, though, is the rich resource it now provides.

Gil

Joseph

:D the tail fin was really supposed to be moveable, to have a better field for the rear gunner. Here are a wartime model (from luft46 website), and a pic of the build

wunwinglow

Hm..... I see now. I would have thought a twin fin arrangement, with the bulk of the fin area below the tailplane would have been a better solution. Although The Vultee Vengeance originally had a twin tail (as the Stuka, come to think of it) and they all quickly reverted to conventional tails. OK, another idea. Since the gun turret is a remote installation, why not put it aft of the fin. The ammo could still be stored near the cockpit to keep the bulk of the weight near the centre of the aircraft.

What role was this type designed for? Very puzzling....

Tim P

PS How was the rudder supposed to operate, then? When the fin is 'down', OK, I can see the hinge line is perpendicular to the fuselage axis. But rotate the fin up, through about 90 degrees, the hinge line is parallel with the fuselage. Ooooo, nasty........ BuzzzzzzBangNoYawControlBAILOUT!!(In German, of course)

Joseph

I've been puzzled too by the way the vertical rudder might have operated :?
The kit is done as if the tail fin rotated axially, not up and down (yes I know...arg...bang...achtung..kaput), so the rudder is OK in both positions.

But I've heard that the vertical rudder is not that important in flight and is mainly used on the ground (on bigger aircraft though). That means that the tail fin could have moved up and down, with the vertical rudder designed for ground use only.

Anyway, it's a "what if" kit
:p

Maurice

The fin pivots through approx. 60deg in the vertical plane.. The rudder is on the trailing edge of the fin in both positions.
Now whilst you can turn on the ailerons only, you ain't getting out of a spin without a rudder. :lol:

Atomsk

Joseph said:
Hi all,
next "what is it" from SPI :p

Il-10 "Beast"?

(edit)Okay, so I should read the whole thread before guessing. But the seating arrangment does resemble that of the Il-10.

Joseph

Maurice, I heard about the rudder thing in a discussion about the latest Airbus, not designed for dogfights :lol:

Nobi : scale is 1/48

Regards,

damraska

Hi Joseph,

Given my predisposition to build anything flown (or almost flown) by Germany in WWII, I would _love_ a copy of the Ju 187. I very much look forward to more of your Luft '46 subjects!

Doug

gera

Hey Joseph.................your next project a SM-81 of the Regia Aeronautica or Spanish Civil War Markings........(please 8)