Newly painted and Weathered Locomotive... "Fantasy" Scheme

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Making its debut on my layout today is CBNS 2937, an Atlas GP38 that I just finished painting and decaling. It's a fantasy scheme in that while the Cape Breton Central Nova Scotia Railway used to have this paint scheme, it never ran EMD GP38's in this scheme. On my layout of the Truro Junction, I have the CBCNS retaining its paint scheme instead of moving to mostly leased units. After all, it's my world. My next project will be to paint up a Kato SD40-2 in the same colour scheme... although the decals for the six axle locomotive will be a slightly larger... the sheet comes with two sizes.

Anyway... here's a pic of the shell before I weathered it:
CBCNS2937pre-rust.jpg

And a second shot with the weathered shell, along with MT Couplers, and back on the chassis with the decoder installed, and working its way around the track. I took this without a flash:
CBNS2937.jpg

Here's two more pics, these ones with a flash...
CBCNS2937flash.jpg

CBCNS2937province.jpg

Feedback?

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
The loco looks just great :thumb:
For me, living in Sweden and a man with little experience, I could bet at least 1€ that "Cape Breton Central Nova Scotia Railway" was a real railroadname.
By the way, almost forgot, excellent painting job :)

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
radar said:
Nice work like the way they named the locos just like the ROCK ISLAND! did you use chalk to weather?

All the weathering on that locomotive is done with acrylic paints using brushes... but some of it drybrushed, some of it watered down and brushed a bit more carefully... I've not gotten into chalks just yet, but I may give it a chance soon.

Yes... CBCNS is a real shortline. The colour scheme you see there was used primarily on Alco units between 1993 and 1999, there were two EMD units that bore this colour scheme later on, but they pretty much abandoned any loco looking like this for leased power or unpainted cheap wrecks that would only see service for a few years. In my version of it (the fantasy part), they've reclaimed the colour scheme and have begun applying it to new locos in their "new fleet." I may paint up one or two locos in leased colour schemes just to tie it into the current "real life" roster... but I'll see.

Most of the locomotives on my layout so far are CN units... one of them (an older Kato SD40-2) will be "soid" to the CBCNS as repainted :D

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
I think that assigning 'fantasy' liveries can be lots of fun. I've seen some photos in the British (model) railway press of classic steam locos virtually (i.e. through some digital manipulation) painted in flashy modern liveries of the current operating companies. There's even been photos of modern diesel units painted in classic 1920/30s liveries.

On a separate point, some of you may know of the project in the UK to build from scratch a Peppercorn A1 Pacific steam locomotive. These standard gauge locos were built in 1948/9 but all were scrapped at dieselization in the 1960s. A new-build society has raised over a million sterling over the last 10 years or so, and the loco will steam later this year. To get back to liveries, though (there is a link - promise): the A1 will appear in an authentic 40/50s livery - BUT as it is not a restored loco (i.e. never existed at the time) I thought it would have been smart to paint it in one of the modern garish liveries (if only for a couple of years) in return for a generous donation to the funds!!
Anyone interested in this project, see http://www.a1steam.com/mainmenu.html