Newbie painter hesitation: lacquer on acrilic?

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
I don't know if this as been already answered of if is a silly question, but better safe than sorry.

If I use acrilic paints (Polly Scale), can I use as lacquer the Testors Dullcote? :confused:

Or I should use the Polly finishers?

I have heard about some lacquers attaccking non-enamel paints, so I wanted to ask before of putting the brush in it.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Javier,

I would say test to be sure - but I am pretty sure that I have tried this combination without side-effects. Usually you can stick with the same manufacturer without problems, so maybe you want to use the Polly finish... Be really sure that the paint is dry (wait a few days) and go really lightly with the DullCoat.

As I said, try a test on something you don't care about (or something you want weathered "badly" ;) ) just in case...

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have put "Dullcoat" laquer over acryllics without problems, but I used an airbrush. I would reccomend painting a piece of styrene with acryllics, let it dry completely, and then try painting it with "Dullcoat." If you ruin something, it is a piece of scrap styrene.