New section help

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Hi,

I need some trackplanning help. I've attached a picture of my current layout, and the new section (it's the yellow area). I would like to put a small yard in there, specifically for loco's (2 stall engine house, service area etc). I also want a turntable in there. To my mind, it should fit, as it's 3ft long (north / south) and 2ft wide (east / west). Please can someone come up with some track ideas. I'm a bit stumped as to track placements.

I model N scale, and transition era, so need some steam maintenance things. The grid spacing is 12".

Thanks

Attachments

• layout - new section.JPG
    layout - new section.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 137

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've got a suggestion, but it doesn't have to do with the turntable. It does have to do with the tracks you've drawn.

Instead of adding the new longer route as an alternate, tear up the existing outer track in the lower right corner. This will force trains to travel a longer run around the layout. Yes, removing track can make your layout seem bigger.

However, if it turns out that the maintenance area takes up a lot of room, you may have to give up the through route on the new section entirely. What's your largest locomotive?

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Developments

Hi,

Triplex, as I read it, it made sense about having train go round. :)

I'll have the line go straight, and terminate at a coal mine. The line going North-South on the right will go through a tunnel in a mountain.

In another development, another 1ft x 2ft of real estate has been purchased (much negotiation, involving cooking supper and going out for a show was involved. All enjoyable). Wife says she's quite looking forward to seeing the roundhouse in. So, new area is going to be 2ft wide, 4ft long.

I also plan to put in an engine shop somewhere near the turntable. I'm going to be making the baseboard section over this coming weekend.

Currently largest locos are 2 x SD60M's. I hope to get a Challenger when they're released, but that depends on postage / import duties.

Attachments

• layout - option 2.jpg
    layout - option 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 82

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I question whether those tracks entering the turntable are properly aligned. They seem to be spreading apart as they enter, but they should be coming closer to each other to align properly.

A Challenger wil be just over 9" long. It looks like the turntable is big enough, but are the roundhouse stalls long enough?