New Release Destroyer V108

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
At Easter I saw that Roman had updated the V108, I got some nice card from my local printer (for free, a nice man) and I printed her out at 1:140 or so. I also printd a copy on plain paper for rolling the little bits.

The new version of V108 is different to the old 1:250 download in detail and by printing the 1:200 version at a larger scale it is easy to make her in all the glory Roman intended.

I was quietly building her when the Forum wnt ship crazy. The story so far...

View attachment 11590

View attachment 11591

View attachment 11592

View attachment 11593

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Great tutorial!

David............... I love the comic book style layout and the balloon comments are great! This would be neat to print out as a pdf on a color duplexing printer, better yet a color duplexing 17 x 11 and fold & staple into a comic book for kids to have as a learning tool!:grin:

Great job on the build too!

john

David H

Nov 2, 2005
As he man says leave them shouting for more...

I can not take all the glory, a piece of software called Comic Life came on my new Macbook (the old iBook died about the time my other build thread stalled). So thanks to the boys and girls at PLASQ (Windows beta available http://plasq.com/.

Note to Admin, brace for comic fever...

Now on with the ship stuff...

I really cannot praise Digital Navy enough. Its no false modesty to say I am an OK builder, not a great builder, but the quality of this free kit is very very, very high.

I am just about there, just a few very small jobs to finish and then the rigging and railings... But I am building at a bespoke scale so I will have to make my own...

D

View attachment 11627

View attachment 11628

View attachment 11629

View attachment 11630

cdcoyle

Nov 21, 2005
David H said:
I used Nylon mono filament painted black. I do not really like it and may try again with a different material. I guess I have to just keep on going...

David,

From my limited experience, monofilament does have some drawbacks, mainly that it is difficult to make it hang limp. It is better suited IMO for situations requiring taut line. That said, I still think it is good material to use. It is not necessary to paint it, as it can easily be blackened with permanent marker. Also, not all monofilaments are equal. Diameters for the same pound-test line can vary from brand to brand. And bargain-priced lines often have too much memory (i.e. the line maintains a coiled shape off the spool). Since modeling requires relatively small amounts of the stuff, I think anyone using monofilament would be well-served to go with a small spool of premium line. Check the packaging for diameters and go with the smallest stuff available (usually 2-lb test). Or look for fly-fishing tippet material -- I don't fly-fish, but I think those lines are available down to 1-lb test.

Regards,

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Hi guys,

You are making me blush.

I think I get on with ships better than aircraft, though I can do Fiddlers Green

The mono filament is sold for invisible mending not the fishing but I guess it is the same thing- remember "cat-gut"? - this stuff is as fine as my 4 year old daughter's hair,very fine.

I will have a hunt for an alternative materials over the weekend.

Railings. Going to make the templates today / tomorrow probably use Illustrator, and make up in linen thread and white glue.

D

rmks2000

Jun 29, 2006
Fantastic job! Quick question - how did you fit the blue foam with all of the triangular reinforcements to the bulkheads? Did you simply file a slot in the foam?

David H

Nov 2, 2005
Foam was fitted pretty much as you say if a bit more brutal in the execution. I hacked the corners off where reinforcing triangles interfered!

I tried to use as little blue foam as possible and you might be able to see in the photograph that it does not go right the way to the keel save bows and stern.

Blue foam is very easy to use but it is very messy and blunts tools in seconds. I used saws and perm-a-grit tools for final shaping work.

D

GyverX

Jun 23, 2004
knoxville, TN
www.matrixlair.com
David You mentioned

At Easter I saw that Roman had updated the V108, I got some nice card from my local printer (for free, a nice man) and I printed her out at 1:140 or so. I also printd a copy on plain paper for rolling the little bits.

The new version of V108 is different to the old 1:250 download in detail and by printing the 1:200 version at a larger scale it is easy to make her in all the glory Roman intended.
Is the a free download? and where can one obtain it?

I have never built any type of boat and would like to try it after my current builds.

Thanks for any information you can get to me.'
Happy Fathers Day! (to me)