New Layout - Updated 6/4/06

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Chris
You are one lucky guy!...you said:
I would kill to have a large basement to call my own; heck, my wife won't even let me have a barn or a shed.
My wife would NEVER EVER let me use a room up stairs for something as "silly" as trains! If I didn't have a basement that I can use part of...I would be Homeless...or worse...TRAINLESS! tooth1

pennman

Jul 2, 2006
clarksville, tn
Dccc???

Hey Chris looking good, cant believe how far youve come so quick. I cant wait the contrators are behind here. maybe in 2 weeks to start.
But any way I just recieve my new DCC i bought the super chief and decoders and ect...
Its making my head hurt. but can wait to get the layout up now. I'll let you know how some of my convertions go, I'm starting on the easy ones first.
How are you going to shape the styrene?
Nazgul, all you have to do is negotiate with the wife, it only cost me a kitchen,laundry and dinning room. remodel to get my train room....
sign1 Yall hava fun later TONY

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Wow Chris your really jumping ahead won't be long before your carving into that nice blue foam board and making huge mountains . I like the bridges they look good there. I have to make a couple vehicle bridges myself.:wave:

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Negotiations

Steve:

Just tell your wife that trains are not silly; if it will help, I'll tell her and I'll let my wife tell her as well. Just let her know that at least this keeps you from runnin' the streets at night and gettin' in trouble.

Tony:

I feel for you; one of my co-workers started a project on his house a few months ago. I used to hear "I wish those people would hurry up and start!" Now all I hear is "Well they just had to redo the ________! I wish they would hurry up and finish."

I haven't decided how I'm going to shape the foam yet. I do know that in the area around my staging, it is just going to be a concrete retaining wall. Around the rest of the layout, I'm not sure yet. It wil ljust happen one day and I'll be like, "WOW, that looks saaweeeet!"

Wickman:

Thanks. I started attaching the risers last night with latex caulk. I think I'm going with the truss bridge; it just kinda fits where i want it.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Couldn't wait! Had to run trains!

Well, yesterday I put track down on top of my 2.5% grade and connected it to one side of the staging area. I also placed my truss bridge in place just to see it looked. I like it.

My wife wondered if a train could make it up and over the rise, so I just had to find out. Out with the MRC DC Cab, one of my geeps, and six hoppers. 30% power, pulled them up. Nice. So I ran the geep up and down the slope for another hour just watching. . . until I had to cook dinner for the wife.

Yesterday was a good day. It was good to see NS and the VGN back in action.

Attachments

• P8260065.JPG
    P8260065.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 166
  • P8260069.JPG
    P8260069.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 232

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
SSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
balloon6 balloon6 balloon6balloon6balloon6

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Ballast - Which one do you like

Hey all,

I'm posting two sets of pictures of test ballast for the raliroad. I would love to hear the opinions of the others. I have made this "special" ballast from a mix I thought would be appropriate for the railroad. It is composed of 8 parts grey, 2 parts rust, and 1 part black. I think it has that correct random look. Let me know which set you like, the first set of the second.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
The second set is where I was leaning towards as well. With the coarse (first set), I think each rock is about 6-8 inches in prototype. I at least can use it to fill in some and use as a base to add upon. Let the fun begin; I can now start working on some of the tunnel entrances before adding the second level.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Question

I"m doing the same thing (tunnel entrances).....are you going to paint the track before or after you ballast, or not at all?

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Probably afterwards. It is going to depend on how long this layout stays up. I'm using this as a big testbed platform, so we'll see.

What did you think of the mixture method of coming up with the ballast color?