New Benchwork for New Layout

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
As some of you might have read about in my other threads, I have been wanting to make my layout way bigger. I had originally planned to put it into the garage and it was going to be big!! But my mom changed her mind and now dosn't want my hobby to take over the gargae.:curse: :curse: All-well, what can you do right? I just will have to wait till I move to my own place.

Anyway, I have been at my grandparents house this week and we have been building my new benchwork for my new layout. The final benchwork measures 12' 2" x 2.5' x 4' x 2.5'. We have been working on it when my grandfather gets home from work. We are almost done and now all we need to do is drill the holes for the four 4' x 2.5' sections to fit together, finish the 45 degree angle in the outside cornner, cut the 1" foam board to fit the 4 sections and the 45 degree piece, and drill the holes in the legs where they connect to the table.

I spent most of yesterday evining calling all the Home Depot's around me and trying to find that foam insulation board. I finally found some in the Huntington Beach Home Depot and when I got there this morrning, it was not the pink or blue foam I had wanted. It was white foam. But instead of no foam, I went ahead and got the stuff in 1" and 2" thick. It looks like it will work.

Here is a diagram of what the benchwork looks like.

I hope to have pictures of the new benchwork all put together and in it's final resting spot this weekend or next week sometime.

I think that Im going to miss my old layout but I am sure looking forward to this new one especially cause it has way more trains this time.:D :D

Attachments

• The-Gauge copy.jpg
    The-Gauge copy.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 233

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Josh,

I have heard that stuff is hard to find in California... But unless you have continuous support (e.g. 3/8" or better plywood) under the whole layout, the white styrofoam is not strong enough to support a layout. It can also be messy to work with.

I don't know if you could try some other specialty shops (maybe those who make refrigerated containers?) to locate the extruded (pink or blue) stuff. It is much, much stronger.

Good luck!

Andrew

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Ok thanks Andrew.:) The plywood is 3/8" thick. Any thinner and I would not trust it.

Thats a good idea. I will have to see if there is any other sources around me with the extruded foam. The stuff I got today was only anout $8.00 for a 4' x 8' sheet.

Does anyone no how much the extruded foam is?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think Home Depot and Lowes still carry the tan foam that has a layer of aluminum foil on each side. For model rr purposes, the foil will peel off easily. The tan or brown foam is a dense foam that I think would work in place of the pink or blue foam.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
If you know what kind of scenery you are doing, are you sure you even need foam? sketch all scenery items out ont he table top with a pencil first, trust me its a good idea. If you want to add things like Culverts and dips in the ground, you can use a sabre saw ( I think thats the name for it) and just cut away parts of the plywood that are in the way. Otherwise, I'd just build straight on the plywood.

besides, it seems to me that your layout is more or less an industrial park, which from the ones i've seen are mostly flat. aslong as you have a plywood table top already, you might as well just build on that.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
I did already lay some foam down. I think that it's 3/4" and then I got some 2" foam for the 2 Mountains/hills that the conveyors for the coal Mine and Gravel company. I do want to add some bridges and culverts but I don't no where they will go yet. I finished putting the table together and Layed the foam.

I have started to outline where the track and buildings will go.

I will try to post some pictiures tomarro or the next day.