New Affordable Bachmann Diesels?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just learned yesterday that Bachmann has released a new line of very affordable HO diesel locos. These were for sale at a LHS for only $50 Cdn. (about $44 US) !! Apparently, they have less detailing than more expensive locos. I already have two Bachmann locos as well as some coaches, so I know that Bachmann products are excellent.

I was curious, however, to find out what folks thought of this new "cheaper" line of locos. Are they to be avoided, i.e. do you simply "get what you pay for"? Would it be wise to buy one of these at this great price, or is it better to save up for a more expensive and better detailed loco in the future?

Thanks again!
Rob

Bill54

May 2, 2006
Northern Virginia
Rob,

I’ve only been into model railroading since December but I found Bachmann diesels with DCC onboard for $29-$35 US. Without DCC for $25. Don’t know what that equates to in Canadian dollars but I think these locos have been around for a while.

I bought 12 since December. I’ve only had problems with one. It was making a squealing sound. I sent it back to Bachmann and they sent a new replacement.

For the money they are fine. True, they don’t have the details found on other models like LL Ptoto 2000 or Athearn Genesis but the cost is considerably less.

Bill

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bill54 said:
Rob,

I’ve only been into model railroading since December but I found Bachmann diesels with DCC onboard for $29-$35 US. Without DCC for $25. Don’t know what that equates to in Canadian dollars but I think these locos have been around for a while.

I bought 12 since December. I’ve only had problems with one. It was making a squealing sound. I sent it back to Bachmann and they sent a new replacement.

For the money they are fine. True, they don’t have the details found on other models like LL Ptoto 2000 or Athearn Genesis but the cost is considerably less.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! That's interesting and helpful to know. Yes, I have heard that Bachmann have excellent customer service & readily resolve any problematic locos. This gives me food for thought as there is a Canadian Pacific diesel that I'm interested in.

Those prices are equivalent to what I saw yesterday, or a little lower. $35US would be about $40Cdn. and I saw one for sale for $50Cdn with DCC. I'll ponder this a bit more but if you've recently bought 12 they must be good. Thanks for your feedback.
Rob

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
kf4jqd said:
I have some Bachmann Spectrum, G scale, and N scale. I really like them. Good hear they have lower cost in line. I hope the same quality is there. you get what you pay for! Another thing about Bachmann, very good servie department! Save those warranties!

Andy:wave:

Thanks, Andy. Yes, I know that Bachmann products are good & I've also heard several times that their servie dep't is excellent. I have two Bachmann models of British steam locos and they're very good, but one cost $85 & the other was about $105. The detailing is excellent on those but it looked noticeably more basic on these low-cost diesels.

So, based on that, I guess it would be OK to take the "risk" and buy one of these. As you say, I'll hold onto the warranty if it acts up.

Thanks, Rob

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Bachmann used to have a basic line that was in the toy sets, a Bachmann plus line that was comparable to Athearn blue box, and the Spectrum line that was comparable to Athearn Genesis, Lifelike P2k, Kato, and other high dollar models. A few months ago, I was in my local hobby shop and he had some f-7s by Bachmann for less than $20.00. My friend behind the counter thought they were the toy line, but a customer asked about them, so he pulled one out. We were surprised to find out they were what Bachmann used to sell as Bachmann plus! It appears that Bachmann has dropped the junk toy line, and made Bachmann Plus the standard basic line.

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Russ Bellinis said:
Bachmann used to have a basic line that was in the toy sets, a Bachmann plus line that was comparable to Athearn blue box, and the Spectrum line that was comparable to Athearn Genesis, Lifelike P2k, Kato, and other high dollar models. A few months ago, I was in my local hobby shop and he had some f-7s by Bachmann for less than $20.00. My friend behind the counter thought they were the toy line, but a customer asked about them, so he pulled one out. We were surprised to find out they were what Bachmann used to sell as Bachmann plus! It appears that Bachmann has dropped the junk toy line, and made Bachmann Plus the standard basic line.

So, it appears Bachmann's previous "middle-of-the-road" line is now the inexpensive basic (or entry) line. Based on feedback so far, it seems more & more like this is a pretty good line of locos. They may not be elaborately detailed but are good value for the money.

Every other Christmas or so, Loblaws (one of our main grocery store lines in Canada) releases a train set. These train sets use the old style hook/horn couplers as well as brass track. The coaches are usually a bit cheaply made and advertise Loblaws products along their sides! But their locos appear to be quite good & authentic looking. I have one, a CN Mikado freight engine, and it's good in terms of appearance & perfomance (except that it struggles if I add more than 6-7 freight cars; maybe I need to weight it down?).

Maybe this line of Bachmann locos is on par with these Loblaws models? Basically, whenever you buy one of these train sets, you're really just buying it for the loco. I've seen these sets on sale after Christmas for $80 Cdn., which is a good price.

Rob