Need some Newbie help w/ Xtrkcad

cruikshank

Jul 18, 2005
Reading, PA
Hi, I'm trying to document our club layout w/ XtrkCad. I viewed the demos, printed the help pages, I'm having trouble getting past the beginning stages. I'm trying to use the "0" Gargraves track, no problem. But from my starting point all of the curved tracks point in the wrong direction. So I rotate the first one and put it into place. Then when I want to place the second it adds itself but in the wrong curved direction. I try to rotate it, but it never get's quite right that it joins up correctly. Also when I try to select a track the track description box pops up, and blocks me from doing anything else. Obviously there must be something simple I'm not seeing. Also we have a double main, much parallel track, some tips on using the parallel feature would save lots of time also. My layout is 30 x 59' so I got lots of track to lay on paper. Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry to be so lame. Dave

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
that is where I messed up when I started using it a couple of months ago so had to check becus I didnt lol. I fired up my xtrk put in 708 by 360 no problem. then I tryed to post a curve,using the red circle under options on the tool bar . dont click on options but the red circle below it. it posted a red circle on the layout but I could not connect it because the radius was to small for o gauge.when you click on the red circle look at the bottom off screen and it shows what radius the circle is in radius. make sure its 42.00. can you get that far?

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Dave, if you lay your first piece of curved track, rotate and place it where you want, push enter to fix the track in place, reselct the track piece(curve or straight) on the button bar, click on the end of the first piece of track you layed, it should be aligned and rotated to continue the curve. To select track, push the button that looks like a arrow tilted left, if you push the ? mark button,that is describe. P.S. try right clicking, it is a lot faster than the button bar.

Loren

cruikshank

Jul 18, 2005
Reading, PA
Loren. I found that if I choose a piece of curved sectional track, then shft Left click I can rotate it. So far so good. But then when I try to add the next piece it defaults to pointing in the origional direction and I get a nice "S" curve, not what I'm looking for. Thanks for your reply, again there must be some simple way to have your sectional turns go one way on one side of the layout, and the other, when your working down the other side. I'll keep asking questions, the only way we all learn. Dave

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Shift / left click on the track and it will move the connection point to the other end - this applies to turnouts too - rightclick/hold/move mouse turns the track piece (through 360 degrees if you move it far enough) - return or space fixes the track in position. HIH
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the HIghlands
BTW -two places that can offer much help with XTrkCad
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XTrkCad/
http://layoutparty.disisus.com/index.php

cruikshank

Jul 18, 2005
Reading, PA
OK I got it, It's 4:30 am I must have done something wrong but now I see the light. Shift "L" click flips the track piece. Shift "R" give you a selection box of various degrees, plus you can enter your own degree. Now onto the next stumbling block. Thanks for your help... Dave