Need Help

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
http://www.fcsme.org/bcarl/how_to_make_scenic_express_supertrees.htm - this is good place to find trees and also you can do clumping of flock and foliage. I forgot which thread it was in here, but several of the experts gave some really good advice on trees and mountains. I myself, spend an hour or so in here everyday just reading and learning
what the experts have to say. It will really help you a lot.

CN1

May 6, 2003
Mastiffdog has great looking trees on his layout. :thumb: I can't remember wich topic the pictures are. :cry: But here's a great tutorial on How to make trees by Mastiffdog.

It's pretty simple:

1. Go to a place that sells fake and dried flowers. The dried flowers are used in floral arrangement, they come in plastic wrapped bundles.

2. Separate the stems and select the "good stuff" from the bad. Pick out the twigs that are from 3-8" that look good.

3. Grab a large cup and dump in some diluted matte medium about 1:1 ratio.

4. Hold the "trunk" upside down and simply dip into the matte medium.

5. Then in a second cup or bowl, have your "leaves" ready to glue on to the tree.

6. The leaves are a mixture of Woodland Scenics coarse foams, light green fine turf, etc. Whatever season you choose.

7. Snip the trunks at an angle so they will poke into the styrofoam base easily.

Good luck! Mastiffdog

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Junkie, I agree with Fred, My guess is the forest in your picture has only a few trees with a trunk, the rest being just folage clumps. Since it's so dense, you wouldn't be able to see the trunks on all the trees anyway.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Allen McClellen does it by using plain Poly Fiber fill used for stuffing pillows. Get several shades of cheap flat green spray paint and ground foam. Pull off small clumps of Poly fill and roll into 2-3" balls. Spray them real well with green paint then drop them into a box of ground foam. Roll them around in the foam, pick them out with tweezers and allow to dry. Spray them with some clear flat and again, allow to dry. Take a round toothpick and poke it into the desired location, run a dribble of glue and poke a clump onto that. Won't be long before your hills is covered... :thumb: