need advise (scroll saw)

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
This might sound like a weird question but here goes.

For Christmas I received a scroll saw from my wife. The reason she bought me one is because she remembered that one time some time ago while shopping at Home Depot, I mentioned that I could use one of those one day, so loving as she is, she bought me one for Christmas. See, now my dilemma is that, even though I love tools (power tools, yahhh!, and the more the better), I can't really think of any model train related use of the scroll saw, and I feel kind of guilty of having this tool just standing in the corner without being used.:(

So please please, how can I make use of this tool when working on my layout?

Jesper

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I have a nice Sears scroll saw and, I have to admit, most of the work I've done with it is to help my wife with her "craft" work. Perhaps your wife had something else on her mind for you to do with it!:D

Dick

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Good tool for quick cut on piece of wood during bench construction.

Good tool for cutting out plywood road bed for track.

Good tool for making cut-out in the plywood for lake or river.

Good tool for making first rough cut on large piece of brass strip for scratch build project.

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
So far, in this new hobby for me, I've used my scroll saw for cutting scale strip wood from thin sheets, for scratchbuilding purposes. I've also used it for cutting a round base for my water tower project. Another thing I've experimented with is cutting small scale brackets, both N and HO, for mounting under the eaves of stations and depots. The possibilities are endless in that respect.

I believe a scroll saw can be a very valuable too, but as of yet seems to be largely under-experimented with. In the future I will be trying to incorporate mine in more and more projects.

Of course, the key to success in making fine cuts in such small scales is to use as small a blade as possible. The ones I use are .008" thick.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by absnut
I've never used my scroll saw to cut metal, Ben. Do you use a "regular" blade?

Dick

You'll need a metal blade for metal and a wood blade for wood. They come with wood-cutting blades. Metal cutting blades have much finer teeth - think of the difference between a hacksaw and a regular saw.

Just wondering, is this a hand-held saw or the table-mounted kind?

cheers
:D Val

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I Must Have Missed A Turn?

Hi Folks, I have run out of meds and apparently senility is creeping in again:eek: :D Are we talking about a scrolling saber saw or a bench top scroll saw? ( some folks call 'em both a jigsaw)

Now maybe everybody is as confused as I am:D :D :D :D

I use the heck out of the sabre saw for bench work construction. Cutting road bed outta Homastoe, plywood etc.

The scroll saw is great for cutting out multiple parts but you have to be careful 'cause its hard to get really straight cuts with it...practice...practice....practice..!!! Works best on cutting out irregular shaped pieces....example..letters for a sign.

Jesper...to show your appreciation for such a nice gift get you some 1/8" plywood and cut the wife out some of those kitchen plaques that say stuff like..."Home Sweet Home" or whatever. She'll love it and you can practice with your saw :) :D

n-scaler-dude

Nov 22, 2002
Lebanon, MO
Visit site
Yes, practice, practice, practice. One of the first things you'll notice is that you can't push the wood in straight and expect to cut a straight line (like trying to follow a straight line drawn on a piece of wood). You'll need to push it in at a slight angle.

Also, if your saw is made to hold the blades with the pins at the ends, you might think about getting a set of chucks that will let you use the plain end blades. There is many more plain-end blades to choose from, including "round" blades that will allow cutting in different directions, without turning the wood.

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
ok, I'm talking about a bench top scroll saw, here is a (small) picture of it, found in the internet.

Isn't the other kind of saw called a jigsaw?

I have a jig saw, circular saw and a miter saw, (told you, I love power tools) and I have used them all when building the benchwork.

I think I can use the scroll saw once I start working on all the scratch build structures I'm planning on putting on my layout, but that might be way out in the future, so maybe for now I should do as Vic suggested, practice with a "Home sweet home" sign :)

Jesper

Attachments

• scrollsaw.jpg
    scrollsaw.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 74

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Jesper,
Forget the "Home Sweet Home" thingy. I suspect your wife will hit you with the punchline any day now ... "Darling, can that power saw I bought you enable you to make an imitation Chippendale coffee table??" :) :) :D :D :eek: :eek:

Errol