Need advice on first build

Doing great, man. You'll see that there's a section of tools and tips here. You can always share you "tricks of the trade" there.
If you have any doubts, just post them, and you'll see how ZEALOT is!

I will need to invest in colored pens/pencils to hide all the mistakes.

You can also use water colours and a good fine tipped paint brush.
Using water colours, allows you to mix the right colour you need.

Other then that, it looks like you are off to a GREAT START!!!
I will be following this thread!!!

Since now I'm an expert (HAHAHA) what does everyone think about doing a full 1:1 engine block and build it into an coffee table??? Like this one but having the glass on top of the engine. Are there files of full-size engine blocks?

Attachments

• Ferrari coffee table.jpg
    Ferrari coffee table.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 13
Thanks Blaster Master!
I have some more words of wisdom....well maybe just words.
1. you will get glue on yourself no matter how hard you try not to
(The picture is a dramatization of excess glue) no I lie I'm still learning

Attachments

• IMG_1868.jpg
    IMG_1868.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 10
2. paper bends! Don't be afraid to bend and shape as needed
3. once you have placed glue onto a piece and it drops it will land on the glue side
4. don't be afraid to cut pieces as needed to help with a tight fit

Coming right along there Rick, my build of this model is on hold until I can get a hobby space again, well pretty much all of my hobby stuff is on hold thill I can get someplace to put the table again.

Rick,

I find the best way to keep excess glue from getting on you and the model is, to get a little portion cup or even a soda pop bottle lid, put some glue in it and use a small hobby paint brush to apply the glue. Applying with a brush gives you a thin even coat with no extra glue to ooze out.

Attachments

• DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 10
That's good advice, but unfortunately, it does not work for me, because of the kind of glue I use (transparent PVA/alcohol, or styrofoam glue, as we call it here). It tends to be messy, but good to stand the paper resistance.
So I guess it'll work depending on the glue type you're using. Is that right?

Hi! I am also new to the site and I just wanted to thank you for the great idea to use a small paint brush to apply the glue!! I have been trying everything to get the glue in to tight places when folding the paper, this really helped me!
Good thinking! :)

Glue and its uses, is a sticky subject.......:rolleyes:

Check out the 'Tips, Tutorials and Tools' section of the forum, for general advice..

Thanks Blaster Master!
I have some more words of wisdom....well maybe just words.
1. you will get glue on yourself no matter how hard you try not to
(The picture is a dramatization of excess glue) no I lie I'm still learning
That was my first mistake. Using too much glue. The tendency to do that is easy to get past though.