"N"tique E8s

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I finally finished these after 5 years of putting them off.
They're old Atlas/Rivarrossis that I modified to represent PC #s 4060 and 4068 by filling in the lower headlight and the third portholes on each side.
They run well enough to pull the "Dewey Express" but I plan to repower them someday.

Attachments

• Aug24019.JPG
    Aug24019.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 342

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Ray, your PC locos look pretty good.

Thanks for posting that site on early Atlas N-locos. I got started in N-scale back in the sixties and still have several Atlas steam locos.

One is a special offering from Ted's Engine House in NJ that is a repainted 0-8-0 in blue for the B&O.

When it came to running qualities their 4-6-2 Pacific was a workhorse. I once pulled 38 cars on my little coffee table 2' X 4' layout with folded dogbone design. Those plastic traction rings gave fantastic pulling power.

Dan Vincent

Aug 14, 2003
Sanford, FL
Visit site
Ray,

Considering all the fine locos we have available today, in retrospect those old Atlas locos from the '60 were pretty much cutting edge at the time. Except for way oversized wheel flanges and a tad more speed than we needed, details were pretty nice for such small items.

The Atlas Pacific and Mikado had very fine piping details and great pulling power. One of the reasons I haven't yet gone to smaller rail is because I still can pull out one of these little gem antiques and run them around the track.

Con-Cor was another fine line of locos and cars, especially their PA-1 made by Kato.

When Kadee came along with their super-fine freight cars it raised the bar again for N-scale.

It's nice to have been with a scale since the beginning and to see all the changes over the years. I could have bought a used car back then with the money I recently spent on two sets of Erie FT A/B units from Intermountain but that's inflation for you.