N scale - please give ideas

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Hi all.

First post, so here goes.

I've got N scale equipment (very new - got for Christmas presents). I'm joining the local Ntrak club here in Cape Town, and have negotiated a space with the wife for use as layout at home. It's not going to be a module, as that I'll store in the garden shed when not being used. I'm going to be doing modern American equipment, with small to mid-sized loco's. Although, currently I only have 1 loco - an Atlas SD60M. I know, it's big, but it's a start (will mainly use it for module running on long lines).

I have a 4' x 3' area, which is going to fold up into a cupboard when not in use (it's in the lounge, so has to be hidden). Attached to that I can have a smallish-yard, 17" deep, and about 2' long. Basic layout going to form an L shape.

Now, my problems are these:
I've been browsing the web, and have seen a nice plan for one of those kit layouts. It's made by a company called Traunstein. I'm not going to be buying it, as it's simply way too expensive. But, I do really like the trackplan. I've attached the basic track plan to this post, and I need some ideas. I would like to have 1 more industry if possible, but I don't know where to put it. The only idea I could think of would be to extend from the bottom-left inwards in a north east direction. (it's the log red line). I am going to widen the plan, as it's 27 inches, and I have 36 inches width to use. The narrow edge (on the right) is going to connect to the wall.

I am also stuck on a yard design. I am finanically limited in building this, and only have a certain number of turnouts. (I am going to count up tonight, and list what I have). Track is not a problem, as got half a box of Flextrack for Xmas as well. I would like to have a yard that is scalable (when I can afford more turnouts), but still has some basic functionality now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Evan

Attachments

• n plan - 27 x 49 inches.jpg
    n plan - 27 x 49 inches.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 281

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
second picture

Hi,

This is a picture of the completed layout, from the manufacturers site. Note, that it has a very european theme. I will change it to be more US.

Thanks

Evan

Attachments

• n plan picture - 49 x 27 one.jpg
    n plan picture - 49 x 27 one.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 275

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Welcome to the-gauge Evan! Sounds like Santa was good to you! :D I recommend free track planning software from atlas http://www.atlasrr.com Then you can play with the design and see it without comittment. When you get you turnouts counted up, I'll see what I can think of and draw out for you (time permitting/eventually) <--gotta leave an "exit" :D

All flex track and turnouts? In addition to count of turnouts, what brand, model, direction and turnout number?

Again, welcome :wave: :wave: :wave:

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Looks interesting

Its not a bad layout, but perhaps a bit busy. It looks like a trackplan I once saw for a Z-scale plan. I'm not sure how you'll succeed at the elevation changes you'll need for those bridges shown in the Photograph, Looks like a possible steep grade (3%, 4%, maybe 5%), which, as Shamus and Jon will tell you, is fine for logging, its steep for 'regular' trains.

If you intend the rear track to go off to a yard, you won't need the 3-track yard in the center, and you might convert that into a more complex industrial switching area, rather than adding the other industry. Up to you, of course.

I'd like to know just how many turnouts you have, and what size/number they are, and from which companies, just as Jon asked.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Evan,The first thing I would do is rearrange that track and remove some of it.There is to much main line and not enough industries to switch in order to keep the interest up.You see running endless loops can become boring after time.

The better thought would to be to buy a hollow core door that would fit your allotted space and design your own layout imho.You will be far better off in the long run as you will design your layout to your givens and druthers not not somebodies elses ideas,likes and dislikes.The door can be hidge to fold up into your cupboard.

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Update

Hi,

An update. I've been quite busy at work, so haven't had a chance to get all the switchs off the current modules they're on. Once they're off, how to I tell what size, and also what manufactuer they're from? Does it list it somewhere on them?

screwysquirrel: I've been thinking about what you say, and have realised that it is a bit busy. I'm going to have a single industry in the middle. Also going to drop the double mainline area. I'll connect where it comes from the yard to a middle line, and branch from there to the other two. Kind of like in a station.

brakie: I was initally thinking of a door, but my wife and I had to reach a compromise. Also, this layout is only going to stay the way it is for about a year. We've got a 9' x 9' (internal measurements) wooden shed unused in the garden. It currently stores firewood. I'm going to move it closer to the house, get power to it, redo the floors, redo the roof, insulate the inside and make it a layout room. This is going to cost more than we can afford right now, so has to wait. This is the compromise layout. :)
Hell, I have to have SOMETHING moving. I (between us) plan to move the shed before the end of the year. *grin*

Evan

Feb 9, 2004
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Change of plans

Hi,

Major change of plans. Going to do a 4' x 2' for now. As opposed to building the whole cupboard thing, would rather save the money to do the shed. I already have the woodwork for the 4 x 2, so will go from here. I will post another topic asking about trackplans. Please see it, and give ideas.

Thanks

Evan