N scale layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by pttom, Jan 14, 2004.

1. pttom

pttom Member

Would like the pro's and con's on this layout. It is 11.6" long and 48" wide. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I like it, you have a lot of room for scenery and/or industries. You might add some sidings for industries, mines, etc., if that's where you are leaning.

I'm no operations expert, but: You might also connect part of the yard back to the main and add an aux/caboose spur, as shown in red. If you don't add any industrial sidings, you could do another passing siding near the turntable end, but I wouldn't do both, as it may get too tracky.

Also, if you are so inclined, you could download atlas freeware and draw it out that way, which will help ensure it fits using commercially available turnouts and sectional track. Just guessing your min radius is around 12" now.

Attached Files:

3. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara New Member

Nice, not much track. How about adding hidden staging?
    Mark
  4. pttom

pttom Member

Thanks Jon. Where would you connect the extra sidings for industries and what type? I don't think I can connect the yard back to the main because it starts a 2% incline where you marked the red. You were correct on the radius .
  5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I'll bet some of hte guys into operations would be better at helping you decide which industries and where, and maybe even pick better colors for the buildin's :D :D :D

Attached Files:

6. pttom

pttom Member

Thanks Jon, I'll wait and see what other offerings are out there before I continue. Have a nice day.:wave:
  7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

You are most certainly welcome ;)
  8. oshta

oshta New Member

this is my layout - and preposed yard - see the thread about this here

[​IMG]