N-Scale Heavy Loads

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by jmarksbery, Aug 23, 2005.

1. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

:wave: I was so impressed with Bernhard's modeling of heavy loads on HO-Scale that I thought I would try it for us n-scalers to see if we can do what the big boys do. You know what? We can! I had a few over large gears and such for n-scale and use those for the flat car load, sawing one in half and using others to make some type of large apparatus to be use in industry. Did I follow Bernhard's modeling? Well yes I did. It is hard to beat profection and in N-Scale it is a bigger challange. Here's a picture of what I came up with, he used older flats and put extra trucks under the load but is unneccesary for the more modern ones.
    [​IMG]

The next one is an old tried and true method of using tissue and 50/50 glue mixture to make a load under canvas tarp. The good thing is after the glue has set up you can take the load out to use again another day. Once it had dried I trimed to fit the flat and then gave it a double coat of tan wash, when dried I glued it to the flat and placed wood around the edges to hold in place and then gave a wash of A/I and there's the other big equipment load.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See, we can do what the big boys do. :thumb: Jim
  2. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Great job. :thumb: :thumb: I really like those covered loads. You can put all kinds of interesting bumps and corners to suggest mysterious cargo. :D
  3. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Nice work, I like the covered load, I'll have to give that a try on my layout. Thanks for the idea!
  4. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Excellent work Jim.
    Just goes to show, anything those guys with the oversized layouts can do, we can do as well :thumb: (only smaller) :D
  5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

You're right, that load isn't big enough to need extra axles. But there are still heavy-duty flatcars around - just for much bigger loads. If you want even bigger, there are always Schnabel cars. :D Anywhere from 12 to 36 :eek: axles, absolutely colossal capacity. Unfortunately, models of these are hard to come by, and anyone interested in them has to scratchbuild.