N-Scale Heavy Loads

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: I was so impressed with Bernhard's modeling of heavy loads on HO-Scale that I thought I would try it for us n-scalers to see if we can do what the big boys do. You know what? We can! I had a few over large gears and such for n-scale and use those for the flat car load, sawing one in half and using others to make some type of large apparatus to be use in industry. Did I follow Bernhard's modeling? Well yes I did. It is hard to beat profection and in N-Scale it is a bigger challange. Here's a picture of what I came up with, he used older flats and put extra trucks under the load but is unneccesary for the more modern ones.
axx.sized.jpg

The next one is an old tried and true method of using tissue and 50/50 glue mixture to make a load under canvas tarp. The good thing is after the glue has set up you can take the load out to use again another day. Once it had dried I trimed to fit the flat and then gave it a double coat of tan wash, when dried I glued it to the flat and placed wood around the edges to hold in place and then gave a wash of A/I and there's the other big equipment load.
axy.jpg

axz.jpg

See, we can do what the big boys do. :thumb: Jim

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You're right, that load isn't big enough to need extra axles. But there are still heavy-duty flatcars around - just for much bigger loads. If you want even bigger, there are always Schnabel cars. :D Anywhere from 12 to 36 :eek: axles, absolutely colossal capacity. Unfortunately, models of these are hard to come by, and anyone interested in them has to scratchbuild.