My newest train for my layout!

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
haha good point. That was pretty sad.

It's an Athearn, so I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. He says the front coupler is not attached but is included. He also says that it has two separate motors, so it's got plenty of power.

I'm into power, in case you didn't notice...

A pic of my current in-house locomotive stock:
fulltrainstocksocte8.jpg

It's a VERY long image.

And here's one of the DD40 this guy's selling:
f9221jm5.jpg

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Spawn of Chaos said:
GEC: You sure about that? Cause I have found pics and info about a real DD40 and that's what it looks like.

CNW: We should do that. All of us.

i'm absolutely positive that all DD40s were made with a wide cab. if it has a standard EMD cab, then its a DD35.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
g_e_c is 100% CORRECT!:thumb: the engine pictured as a "DD40" (really they were a DD40AX)is REALLY a DD35A;). ALL DD40AX's had "safety cabs", large rear sandboxes that were where the railings are, a large UP logo on each side along with Union Pacific spelled out, and NONE of them were numbered with two digits, like the number 70 shown in the pic. ALL DD40AX's were numbered in the 6900 series. the engine in the pic IS an Athearn DD35A, i have one, and Athearn NEVER made the DD40AX. Bachmann made the DD40AX in plastic(i have one of those too). BTW Chaos, NICE Big Boy and 0-8-0!:thumb:

:D-Deano

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Um... You paid WAY too much for the DD40. That IS a DD40 guys, EMD had it in their catalog and nobody bought it. UP bought DDA40X's (the "Centennial's").

The Athearn DD-40's are worth about $30-40 new and in decent condition. You got taken for a ride on that one. I see them at flea markets occasionally for $10.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
CCT70 said:
That IS a DD40 guys....
WOW!!!:eek: , sorry CCT70, but YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!:eek: The picture of the engine Chaos bought IS IN FACT a DD35A:thumb:. the DD35A's UP had,STARTED WITH THE NUMBER 70!(just like the one he bought, #70;)) UP had 15 of the A units. I'm sorry, i cant remember how many B unts they had:eek:ops:. the DD35's were made in the 60's, and the last of them was scrapped out in the late 80's. NONE survive today.

THE DD40AX's had 4 digit numbers, starting at 6900 and went up from there(see bottom pic).

BOTTOM LINE,
THE picture of the engine Chaos bought is a picture of a UP engine with the DD wheel arrangement, and has the #70 on it, UP's VERY FIRST DD35A WAS #70!!! THUS, THIS ENGINE IS A DD35A, PERIOD! Chaos seems to be collecting UP stuff(thats cool!:D), lets keep him straight on what he is getting;). being a HUGE UP FAN:D, i love to see others model UP, and i want him to know what he IS REALLY GETTING.:thumb:

Chaos, true, you did pay more then i have seen them go for, but hey, as long as YOU are HAPPY, isn't that all that REALLY matters?:D

PICS BELOW: pic 1-MY UP DD35A(notice MINE is #70 too!:D), AND, pic 2-MY UP DD40AX

:D-Deano
DD35A.JPG
DD40AX.JPG

May 12, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Deano, where did you get that DD40AX from and who makes it? I have the Kato SD90MAC and that DD would look REALLY good MU'ing with the 90MAC!! Decades seperate there use, I know, but still, model railroading has no boundries! :D

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wildcatfootball said:
Deano, where did you get that DD40AX from and who makes it? I have the Kato SD90MAC and that DD would look REALLY good MU'ing with the 90MAC!! Decades seperate there use, I know, but still, model railroading has no boundries! :D
Wildcat, there is still a UP DD40AX in use TODAY!!!:thumb: so theoretically they "could" be MUed....but NOT REALLY. if i remember right:rolleyes:, the DD40AX had DC traction motors in it, the SD90MAC has AC traction motors in it, a run with a DD40AX would burn 'em up in no time;), but we wont tell anyonetooth1.

My DD40AX is a Bachmann Spectrum.:D-Deano

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
I'm not a big fan of UP but those are some awsum engines Deano:thumb: ... WOW, talk about power! How in the world do you run those bad boys on your layout.. you must have a minimum radius of 60" or better...I would have loved to have been trackside to watch and hear one of those Centurians and its B units flying by! WOW.
Mark

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Deano,

The DD-40 was offered in EMD's catalog in the 1960's as a production engine with a standard cab and engineering drawings were made as such. THESE are the drawings that Athearn used for their DD-40 model. You are correct that it resembles a DD-35 and could very easily pass for a DD-35 which made it into production as a real locomotive. UP was the only railroad interested in the EMD DD-40 and only after they highly modified it into what we know today as a DDA-40X like your Spectrum model. I thought otherwise as well, but this info was relayed to me by a guy at Athearn and reiterrated by a former EMD employee now on the UP steam crew. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with the UP Steam crew at Portola 2 years ago when they brought the 3985 over. I have also been talked into washing the real UP 6936 not once, but twice, to remove tunnel snot and let me tell you, you don't fully realize how big that thing is until you have to scrub it.

So yeah, while the Athearn model resembles a DD-35 in every way, and is even numbered in UP's DD-35 numbering series, *according to Athearn and EMD*, that model is actually a DD-40 that never made it off the drawing board and catalog.

You wanna know what I think of those models? I consider them DD-35's myself. Athearn and EMD's explanation is all semantics to me, as if it looks like a 35, and is numbered like a 35, than it is a 35. So I guess we're both right. The only difference *on a real DD-40 vs. a DD-35 would have been internal anyway.

And by the way, you CAN M.U. a AC and a D/C traction motored locomotive just fine. We've M.U.ed the UP 1983 to the 6936 and even the UP1983 to other museum engines and UP does it daily.