My module plans

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Here at long last is a final draft of my proposed modules.

A quick overview:

A - Part 1 of the junction between the double track standard main and the single track free-mo branch.

B - Part 2 of junction, including a crossing. The radius of the curve is only 32", so may require an "exception" to our club standards.

C - Part 1 of "Marlpost" - a small southern/eastern Ontario town. The timeframe is "between the wars". Module C contains a team track with unloading ramp, a cattle pen, and a truck/wagon weight scale/office for the coal and ice dealers on Module D.

D - Part 2 of Marlpost. Coal and Ice, plus a station and milk depot on the "south" side of the tracks. A grain elevator on the north side.

E - A ~90' turntable, plus a small (1 or 2 bay) roundhouse, with minimal servicing. Useful as the "end of the line". This module also is a transition module.

F - Adaptor module for use if the crossing becomes operational. Because the crossing is too close to the edge of the module, a standard joiner track cannot be used.

Comments or questions welcome!

Andrew

Attachments

• ab-aj-modules 3.gif
    ab-aj-modules 3.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 242

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Here is a better look at the modules. Due to space limitations, the above view is not very clear. I have cut the plan into two parts:

Attachments

• ab-aj-modules 3a.gif
    ab-aj-modules 3a.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 273
  • ab-aj-modules 3b.gif
    ab-aj-modules 3b.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 289

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Andrew,
That plan looks great! One thing to consider on the curve between 'A' & 'B' the turnout at 'A' should come off of a secondary track like a passing track or small interchange yard and not directly off the main. You'll find this useful if you want to use this as a drill track for the yard,(C & D). By moving the switch at 'B' you should be able to do this without changing the radius of the curve. Something to consider.

2slim

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
2slim,

Thanks for the comments! I am a bit constrained by the standards of my modular club (www.hotrak.ca), as far as placement of turnouts near module edges, plus minimum radii, etc.

Also, C+D are meant as a small town stop, not a yard. Using my imagination, I think of them as miles from the junction on A+B, up a rural branchline, much as you would have found in southern Ontario from the 20s to the 50s.

One fun thing about this is the club subscribes to "right-hand running" so to enter the branchline, you will have to cross to the other track at some point before the junction (i.e. on some other module)... Should make for interesting operations ;)

Andrew

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Hello Andrew. Looks real cool!

I think 2slim has a very good point. Your junction goes from a double-track conventional to a single track Free-mo. I would move the turnout on the double-track as far back as possible so as to give you that extra room for a drill track. This would allow the extra room required to switch Marlpost without fouling the double-track mainline.

While the HOTAK freights usually consist of half a dozen cars, add a van plus a couple of empties that you might have to pull out of the industries, it wouldn't take too much to block that conventional main line.

There is precedent with the prototypes for this type of arrangement, more specifically on the former Canadian Northern/Brockville & Westport mainline at Forfar Ont. I'll try and post that track plan tonight.

Bob M.

PS - How's it going with the module frames?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks again for the comments...

David... "B" for Bedell...!? ;) I thought about that for a while, especially since Bedell Junction is about 5 minutes from my house. I think I'll stick with the fictional names though - allows a bit more flexibility :)

A friend from the club drew the track plan, and connected the loop around the station. Originally I had proposed a stub ended siding that would end at the station. Prototypically, the loop behind the station is quite common though, so I may keep it. I don't know exactly how it is used though, so some more research is required...

Bob...

Thanks! If I move the turnout to the "top" of A to give more track between the double main and the Freemo main, what will that do to the radius of the curve? It is already below the standard... I would be interested in seeing that CNor/B&W plan.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Will,

The modular approach appeals to me as you can (theoretically ;) ) complete it in small bites... as long as the kids don't need anything, there's no bathroom renos/emergency repairs to do :mad: , gardening, car repair, or any other real world problems... :rolleyes:

Andrew

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Hello Andrew. If I count on my fingers, you have 5 modules plus the small piece. If you box them up into sets (2 modules to a boxed-set) you have 2½ sets. That is, one of your modules (probably the E module with the turntable) will be flopping around in the back of your van. If you change the footprint of the A or B module to resemble that of the E module, you might be able to get a longer radius on the wye. Or change the footprint of both modules.

Have you asked Paul A of HOTRAK to see what he could do to fit that wye into the maximum radius on modules A and B or a different footprint of Module A and E?

It seems to me that if you could pull back the turnout off of the double-track main line so that you have a longer drill track, you would have a very nice set of independent modules.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Andrew:
Does someone have a mate for the B module to go on the other side of the loop? (I'm assuming the exhibition layout will be a loop!) A plain 2-foot (or whatever) module will mean that you can fit in whereever you go.

Picking up on Bob's post: what would happen if you made the turntable an extra bit on the side of module E? You'd need to adjust the access a bit. The turntable bit probably needs its own packaging for delicacy on the top and mechanics on the bottom. (Manual or powered?)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Interesting feedback - thanks again!

Bob - The 2 1/2 sets is on purpose - this is what I can fit in my vehicle. However, I will not be building this all at once. I will start with C+D (the town) so things might change before I am done (like getting a new car...?!). The Ops group from HOTrak has this for comment as we speak... I have not gotten any alternate plans back yet, but moving the turnout on A to the top is interesting. I think it may decrease the radius, but I do not know for sure.

David - I don't know if the club has a corner matching this one. I don't think so. But that doesn't really matter as it is not necessary for this to be part of a loop. See www.hotrak.ca for examples of our set-ups. Interesting point about the turntable, but I think that having it secure in a solid module (this one will get a cover too) is probably better for the life of the turntable than a removable section that gets bolted on the side at every set-up. I intend to make the turntable an "armstrong", possbily with a crank mounted on the facia.

Andrew