My latest obsession...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by micahrogers, Oct 30, 2018.

1. micahrogers

micahrogers ...And the Wife...

Many Years ago, when I played every weekend, I got myself hooked on building, and painting Miniatures, AKA Minis, for Dungeons & Dragons... Now fast forward 30 odd years and A company called Wizkids is making nice quality plastic minis, relatively cheap. Between Bandai Star Wars kits, and work, I've been working on some of these little jewels.
    A pair of small monsters called "Mimics" they "mimic" an ordinary item that an adventurer would expect to see, then when the adventurers are not expecting it, they attack... insidious.
    20181030_161158.jpg

But his little gem is a Beholder, or Eye Tyrant, Floating balls of hate that destroy or devour everything that crosses thier path
    20181030_175941.jpg

now ya gotta remember, these are hand assembled (where necessary) and hand painted by me. The Mimics represent less than a days work, I started them last night, and finished them today, but the Beholder is a good 3 days work. I took nearly 4 hours just on the center eye.

As I get and do more of them, I'll post to this thread...

Thanks.
  2. micahrogers

The Beholder came with 2 sets of 4 of the eye stalks, here are a few pics with the alternate eye stalks installed
    this pic has the other 2 spell effect eyes swapped out
    20181031_213839.jpg
    and this is all plain eye stalks installed
    20181031_213938.jpg

I decided to not glue any eye stalks in place so I can change them out as I want...
    Revell-Fan, lyter1958 and zathros like this.
  3. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

That's some crazy azz sh*t!! ;)
    micahrogers likes this.
  4. Gandolf50

Gandolf50 Researcher of obscure between war vehicles... Moderator

Great Fun... I used to do Tin Soldiers back in the day, had a ton made in England, Knights and mounts jousting, that sort of thing... I wish I still had them!!
    micahrogers likes this.
  5. micahrogers

D&D Monsters range from the every day goblins and pixies, to the down right weird aberations and such, the Beholder is an Aberation, created by foul magics, for dire purposes,
    I had a few tin soldiers, the last one I had was a tin of Field Marshal Rommel.... then the wife's eldest melted him down for some unknown reason.
    Gandolf50 likes this.
  6. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

That's a design I could use for the story I'm working on! :)
    Gandolf50 likes this.
  7. micahrogers

The latest project,
    Treasure piles in the making,
    DSCN0014-1.jpg
    and my new acquisitions, a Rust Monster and his lunch, and a pair of Dragonborn Fighters.
    DSCN0015-1.jpg

the treasure piles are very simplistic, just molded to be piles of coins, a couple gems, one piece has a chest, the other two have bags,
    lyter1958 and Gandolf50 like this.