My freelanced railroad

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
www.lighthousehobbies.com
i have done that before, what i do is paint the color i want to match on a white piece of the evergreen plastic and let it dry then put it on my scanner and scan it in. then i bring it in to photo shop and use the eyedroper macth the color (get the numbers of the color so you dont have to dont have to scan it again) and then do my lettering and print them out and the macth is so close and when i spray the dull coat on it blends in and makes it look like it was painted on.

RAY METIVIER

Jul 14, 2002
OHIO
home.woh.rr.com
Gavin,

Are you getting e-mail from the gauge when someone replys to your post. I am getting e-mail from the gauge when someone replys to your post and don't know why, not that I mind, it save time looking it up, I just don't understand why.

C

Catt

If you look down below the post reply window you will see this.

Automatically parse URLs: automatically adds and around internet addresses.
* Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies. Only registered users are eligible.
Disable Smilies in This Post
Show Signature: include your profile signature. Only registered users may have signatures.

If you uncheck the one that says Email Notification (the one I starred) you will not get a notice everytime someone replies to your post.

Originally posted by Edavillenut
i have done that before, what i do is paint the color i want to match on a white piece of the evergreen plastic and let it dry then put it on my scanner and scan it in. then i bring it in to photo shop and use the eyedroper macth the color (get the numbers of the color so you dont have to dont have to scan it again) and then do my lettering and print them out and the macth is so close and when i spray the dull coat on it blends in and makes it look like it was painted on.

Wow. Thanks Shawn. Another good idea. Why didn't I think of that?!

Much cheaper than buying an Alps printer!!

Gavin

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
WOW!!

What a superb weathering job on your C30-7! I really like your paint scheme...seems a little reminiscent of the blue Montana Rail Link, which I have always liked.:)

If I can ever come close to doing as well as you, I'll be proud of my work. You surely should be.:)

One of the newest additions to my fleet is this (Japanese prototype) high speed electric set known as a 21000 series Urbanliner.

Here is a photo of it "strectching its legs" on its first shake-down run under the catenary on the RailNet mainline.

Gavin

Attachments

• urbanliner02.jpg
    urbanliner02.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 493
He heh ...

I used a SLOW shutter speed and panned on the moving subject.

Yeah right!

Truth is, the train was stationary. I used Photoshop's "Motion Blur" filter to blur everything in the photo except the train which I had excluded by outlining it with the "lasso" tool.

Looks like it is really MOVING don't you think?

Gavin

Here's the latest vehicles to hit the rails on my freelanced layout.

These Light Rail Vehicles (articulated trams/trolleys?) are Japanese prototype.

This photo shows one of the new sets testing a freshly ballasted section of track on my "turning" module. No other scenery done there yet.

Attachments

• lrv1.jpg
    lrv1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 429

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Hi Gavin - I am very impressed with your work and enjoy the photos very, very much. Also, wasn't it you who came up with that out of this world backdrop method on the Gauge??? THAT Sir, is simply the best advice I've ever gotten.

I had a thought on the white lettering for your decals. Give this a try and let the Gaugers know if it works. This is an experiment.

On the computer, white is actually comrprised of three colors. Red, Blue and Green. Each color has a value of 255 (full on) and that makes white. It is also represented by Hue (base color), Saturation (how much) and Luminence (brightness). Since white is also the lightest value in gray scale, those settings are 160, 0 and 240. One more value (Hex) of white is #FFFFFF

Might I suggest you try setting the color of your text to a very, very light gray by changing the values to:

Red: 253
Blue: 253
Green: 253

or

Hue: 160
Saturation: 0
Luminence: 239

or

#FDFDFD

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet the printer will accept that as a color other than white and may actually print it. Give it a try.
(I would, but I don't have any paper that's not white)

Hope it works!