My First Lay Out Design

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
its not xmas operations everyday. its all how you set it up. if you can effectively seperate scenes, it will look like completely different places, even though its a big oval. you can still have all the switiching, even point to point action, but it doesn't hurt to have continuous track.

for example, i have an NEC plan i made that is really a double track dog bone, but the turn arounds are hidden in staging, with a point to point style freight track. However, the NEC portion still appears point to point, yet i can continusously run my acela without haveing to stop it and send it in reverse. it all works out in the end.

the truth is there is no one set way to build a realistic and operation railroad. just because someone builds a table top style layou doesn't mean it can't be the most brilliant thing you've ever seen.

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Hey guys sorry ive been busy lately, havent been on the gauge but, gottabreal i do see your point with the p2p layout style and such, but my self im not so much interested in the operation of the trains, i just wanna have a nice layout with a few trains constantly running with a few different lines to run on. Its my first layout so ill have to see how it goes. If it comes back to bite me in the ass, ill let you know:). But regardless once i have my benchwork done ill update with some pics. It will be done soon.

OnTrack said:
Hey guys, here is my first lay out drawn with Xtrk. Its freelance as i thought that would be the best idea so it would meet my needs/wants. There are a few little quirks in the trackwork im sure you will notice them, i will perfect them. I just want you guys to get the general idea. So go ahead take a look at it and tell me what you think, dont be afraid to speak out about suggestions. Thanks, guys:).

personally, i like your first plan best, the 2 dead end spurs could be used as a Factory, or somthing else, maybe you could put some more in, somthing like a Grain Elevator would work, i'd put more in, but thats just me.

Another thing, maybe some towns, and Veiw Blocks would be nice, so you cant see between towns so easially, make it look bigger than it is

i'd put a few more spurs in, take a few passing sidings out, or maybe turn it into a second track, and add some veiw blocks

otherwise, great start

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Thanks alexander, but i have a question or two if any one is interested in helping me, i want to run at least 2 trains, hopefully 3. Now for my layout i dont know if this is an opinionated question or not but, would my layout work better with DC or DCC? Could some on try to give me a brief overview of how hard it will be to wire it up, maybe a small explantion or some sort of refrence? And finally which is easier to work with regardless DC or DCC?

Thanks.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yeah, just start with DCC. I have the block wiring system, and it can be tough to operate your trains. the decoders aren't so expensive, its more the systems that are up there. if you invest $170 or less in like NCE powercab or something, it will be good enough for your operation.

don't worry about locomotives with DCC in them already. if you don't want to spend the money, you can get the DCC ready version and just install a cheaper decoder in it.

With block wiring, you have to do alot of wirings and drilling through layouts and all of that, and then you can only run one train per block. basically, its a pain in the @$$. Its maybe more expensive to go with DCC, but it will be worth it, as opposed to trying to wire a block system and get what you pay for ( which will still be fairly expensive in the end).

green_elite_cab said:
With block wiring, you have to do alot of wirings and drilling through layouts and all of that, and then you can only run one train per block. basically, its a pain in the @$$. Its maybe more expensive to go with DCC, but it will be worth it, as opposed to trying to wire a block system and get what you pay for ( which will still be fairly expensive in the end).

but, the Prototype only runs one train per block.

also, you can run 2 trains in one block, they just must be going the same direction

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
yeah, but it gets tough to double head some of them. Trust me, it just works out better with DCC. i have used both, and DCC is worth it. besides, you want to start early before you have to many locomotives to convert

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
I just thought id let you guys know that this weekend im gonna start on my benchwork, and once its completed ill lay some track and take a few photos and upload em. Ill keep you posted.

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Goodnews guys, my grandfather is interested in building my layout with me so I can now use his basement which is much larger than my original room I had to work with before. Im going to take some new measurements and and then design a new layout,ill post it once its finishd.