my first attempt at track planning, need ideas!

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hello guys & gals, this is my first attempt at track planning as you can probably tell. i really need some suggestions and ideas badly. the scale of my drawing is 3/4" = 1'. my minimum radius is 36". i am open for all of your comments as i am lost as to what to do next. i would like a yard and some sideings for my industries. the bench work is 2' wide shelves. i have drawn a double main line which will be elevated to cross the branch line i have drawn. im sure there is better ways to arrange the track i have drawn, but i have never done this before, so if you guys see somewhere i could make improvements, please let me know. if it is just a bad concept, please let me know before i go any further, i need constructive critism now, it wont hurt my feelings at all. as i mentioned earlier, im open to all suggestions, comments, or opinions. thanks to all for looking!

Attachments

• layout draft 1optimized.png
    layout draft 1optimized.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 264

DougF

Jun 10, 2004
Southeast Michigan
Please give us some dimensions on the room. What are the length and width of the room?

Do you want the yard on the double track or single track?

Doug

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
sorry DougF, i forgot. the dimensions are as follows.... 10'2" width x 16' length. as far as the yard, i would like to have it comeing off the single branch, but its not set in stone. also, the dimensions i gave up top are for my bench work, and there exact to the inch. thanks for looking!

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Hi Steve
First off, what is the purpose of the branch line? I would presume that it services an industry or two, or a small town or both. So in order to service whatever the branch goes to from the outside world where the mainlines are you should add a turnout or two that connects the branch to the mainlines. Also you might want to consider the possability of having the two mainlines interact with each other, as an interchange track where cars are handed from one line to another to get to a destination the first line doesn't service.
I'd say that you have a lot of promise there, just figure out what settings you would like to see. It can be anything from huge complex industries like a steel mill or another type of processing plant to a local commuter train rolling through a peaceful countryside. It's your world. Make it whatever you want. It's as close as any of us will ever get to playing God. :thumb: :thumb:
To me this is the fun part. You have all of this territory that you can do anything you want with it. :D :D

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hey guys, thanks so much for takeing time to put down some of your ideas, they look great too. sorry it took so long to get back to ya, but ive been at the hospital with my little brother, he accidentaly over dosed on some type of narcotics. hes in ICU right now, so please remember him in your prayers. thanks!