My 15 Minutes.........

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by N Gauger, Jul 3, 2005.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Ok - I started today - "15 minutes" :D :D :D

I went down to the "organized Chaos" I call my work room & started cleaning it up, so that, in the future, I can dedicate the 15 min to actually accomplishing something.

My area where I actually work is 36" wide by 18" deep (keep this in mind) :D :D

I used 6 -- 15 minute periods, in that, it took 1 - 1/2 hours to clean this mess up!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have 2 -- 4 drawer organizers, the drawers are ALL labled now, so that I don't have to pull open 2 drawers to find what I want...

That 18 x 36 section of bench???? is all cleaned off, I can see that, it is, in fact wooden under there again :D :D

Now, What insane muse of model railroading had me put:
    6 pencils, 2 sharpie 3/4" diameter & 2 1/2" diameter (all 4 sharpies are black), 3 "average" screwdrivers, (one I havent seen in weeks), 1 Large 14" screwdriver, and 3 pocket mini screwdrivers, 1 bent nosed needle nosed pliers, 1 hacksaw, 2 different wire cutters, 9 drill bits (Various sizes), 2 hex wrenches, 1 wire stripper, 1- 6" channelloks and all kinds of trash, of course. in that little area :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But it's "All" where it belongs now hehehehe....all cleaned up and organized :) :)
  2. N Gauger

....................... 15 minutes................................... :D :D :D :D
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Hey, not bad:thumb::thumb: Is this your claim to your 15 minutes, (or six of them) of fame? :D:D. It usually takes me longer than that to find my workbench so you did well. We should all take from your lead. :wave::wave:

Now let's see, I thinks it's somewhere over there under that big pile of stuff..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  4. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Its amazing how many very different and even so similar tools end up in one little area. Which has me wonder.. How many people have a trash can right under their desk or within reaching distance?
  5. N Gauger

:D :D I do!1 I Do!!!! :D :D :D It's about 2 feet away - So nothing "jumps" off the workbench & into the trash :) :)

Don - this is a reference to Tileguy's article in The Gauge Mag -
    Fifteen More Minutes

:D :) :D :) :D
  6. ausien

ausien Active Member

NG,
    give me 15 minutes in your work room and it will be worse than before,:D :D :D my work bench is the Feather River Rail road, any vacant space that is available I use.(I even move buildings when nessessary).:D
    I am adding a third level to the layout soon, :thumb: not because I want more train running,:confused: I need space to work on what I already have, and the junk will migrate to this new level then I may be able to see what I am working on, or what needs working on...:eek: :eek: :eek:

It must be writen into the code for MRR`s, rule 1, be messy,:thumb: rule 2, keep it messy.:thumb: :thumb:
    hey it works for me, I will get a larger layout, and thats good...:D :D :D :D :D have a good one..steve
  7. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I used my 15 minuates staring at my messy workbench.
    And the full trash can next to it.
  8. Catt

Catt Guest

A clean workbench???? Mikey, you are a sick man. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  9. N Gauger

Ed ROFL :D :D :D

Catt - Didn't say the workbench was "Clear" -- just the 3 ft I actually need to build things :) it's 8 ft long (L shaped) and 3 ft is cleared. :D :D :D :D

That make you feel better??? :)
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I am in such a mess that it will take me 15 DAYS to get anywhere.:rolleyes: :confused: :oops:
  11. ausien

ausien Active Member

Robin, you sure your in the right train room, YOURS, and not mine? have a good one..steve
  12. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Mikey, whats a workbench?? I took over the dining room table simply because i wasnt going to waste my 15 minutes looking for mine ;)

Now that your cleaned up and organized, we expect big things from you,15 minutes at a time :D

Robin, we know why yours is a mess, your prolific, you never stop. you need to consider 15 min. breaks!! As long as you have a 6" x 12" clean area for cutting cardstock,what more do you need?? :D
  13. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

OK,I should qualify why my workbench is a mess.Most of you know I am changing scales.This means my workbench is littered with N scale items that are going on the ebay block 1 layer at a time.I think there is about 7 layers there.(and now you know the rest of the story) :D
  14. zedob

zedob Member

I get to use my workbench at work for my modeling, so i don't have a choice, but to clean up after a modeling session. Still, it is amazing how fast the surface can dissapear under a myrid of bits and pieces of wood, plastic, tools,etc. It has actually improved my housecleaning routine. I still haven't figured out how I can turn it into a disaster in less than 5 min, but It takes me three times as long to clean it up.
  15. rksstl

rksstl Member

Work.....Bench...... OH you guys are talking about what around here we call the BIG shelf in the garage :rolleyes: :D
  16. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

Well I spent my 15 minutes on the workbench also. My list reads like a Christmas song.
    12-paintbrushes
    11-screwdrivers
    10-broken McHenry's
    9-drill bits
    8-DPM walls
    7-paint bottles
    6-intresting sprues
    5-Athearn kits
    4-types glue
    3-pieces of chalk
    2-beer bottles
    1-Dremel tool
    See what I mean!!!!
  17. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

You guys are doing terrific. I spent my 15 minutes looking for my bench and I still can't find it, but there is hope. I'll have to wait until the next 15 minutes, but I do see some clues...:thumb:
  18. N Gauger

:D :D :D ROFL Willie :D :D :D I was thinking of that when I made my list :)

After everyone cleans off their own workbench, we'll all head up to tileguy's and clean & organize his... That way he won't be able to find anything! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That'll be enough payback for giving us the idea to work a bit on our modeling.... which prompted me to clean my work area in the first place :D :D :D
  19. N Gauger

Don!! Its there somewhere - keep digging!!!!!! :D :D :D
  20. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I cleaned mine off today. Guess what I found. WOOD!..Thats right. There was a piece of plywood nailed to four legs and a two by four frame holding up the mess. Amazing what you can find when you clean.
    Now that the bench is clean, I can't find the garbage can.....