My 1:18 Thunderfighter build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ASC Mclaren, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Entlza

Entlza New Member

What size?

ASC Mclaren,

When you print in Paint, What size, percentage or pixels, are you using? What size paper are you using?
  2. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Thanks for all of the encouragement! Revell-fan, I hate to ask, but how soon before we might see the canon cockpit? I am having a thought to build up my modified cockpit in a re-paint and finishing the stock TF in a way that would, I hope, make Erin Grey proud.
    Entlza, when I resize projects I take the designed scale, divide that number by the desired scale, and that is the percentage change. So for example: This build is designed as a 1:32 scale. I want to build 1:18, so 32/18= 1.77777. This becomes 178% increase. In paint I stretch it in both directions. I printed this on 110# letter sized, as that is all my home printer can handle. Although, I will be venturing to Kinko's as soon as a repaint is finished, so I don't have to tile the large parts again.

I will post more build photos later tonight.
  3. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Little more of the build, a little out of order:

Attached Files:

4. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

and a few more:

Attached Files:

5. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

The seats look AMAZING!!! I am impressed with your work. The only other thing that I can say is "WOW"!!!
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

WOWEE!! Can I go for a ride afterwards! I am going to make my Cessna 1/18th scale, mostly because of this model, It would make a nice side by side comparison. Great Job!!:)
  7. inky

inky Member

WOW!!!!! Those seats look amazing.
  8. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Remember when you were young? Weekends were parties, or ruined by poor work schedules. Now, I look forward to doing laundry and Saturday night modeling. I haven't even had a beer... I digress. I did some more building. I colored the seat belt latched with a silver Prismacolor pen metallic and worked on the sponson spikes. I built each spike slightly differently. The first on I cut out completely, then slowly rolled it tighter and tighter. I was not happy with the seam. The second I cut the profile, and left the weapon ports, rolled tighter and tighter, then cut the ports. I was more happy with that seam. I finished one of the spikes completely.

Attached Files:

9. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

I worked under the watchful eye of Capt. William "Buck" Rogers. I found him slumming on ebay, and for less then $10.00 with shipping I am closer to re-living my childhood. Wilma is on the way, and Twikie is packed away. Geeky, huh?

Attached Files:

10. Rhaven Blaack

This is coming together nicely. Everything is looking good so far.
    Are you going to have Buck and Wilma in the cockpit?
  11. Thales

Thales New Member

I hope she is wearing a shiny jumpsuit. :twisted:

The build is coming along beautifully. Are you doing anything special to reinforce it internally or does it not need any additional help to keep it rigid?
  12. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Raven Blaack, Right now, I'm not going to seal Wilma and Buck in. I am thinking sculpey flex for helmets thought. If I made opening canopies...

Thales, I dig Wilma's shiny green spandex too. The re-enforcement that I had to build in was because of my stupidity, the base warped. I added balsa stiffeners. I am planning to add support to the aft bottom. I also plan on stiffening the vertical stabilizers/main landing skids and building a nose gear.
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

She looked in in White too! Actually, she just plain looked good!

[​IMG]
  14. Closet Astronaut

Closet Astronaut Member

Yea boy....she was a hottie
  15. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

There was this one episode, can't remember which... I think she was a captured slave or something and wearing this really revealing short skirt...
  16. clif52

clif52 Banned

To paraphrase Homer Simpson. MMMMMMMMM Wilma! Oh Yeah! Great job on the Thunderfighter too. I know they make a 12" Buck Rogers figure. I wonder when they will make a Wilma?

Clif
  17. Rhaven Blaack

18. Rhaven Blaack

Do you mean theis one?
    [​IMG]
  19. Rhaven Blaack

Here is both the original Buck Roger (played by Buster Crabbe, who also played the original Flash Gordan. Interestingly enough, the role that he played in this episode was named MJR. Gordan) and the NEW Buck Roger (played by Gil Gerard) with Wilma squeezed between.
    [​IMG]
  20. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Yep, that's the one! :twisted: