MoreGauge Members Industries

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jimmybeersa, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Another of the buildings named for aGauge member " Catts Fish Plant and Smokery "

Attached Files:

2. wickman

wickman Member

Wow that is one awsome build , who makes the kit, is it laser cut ?:mrgreen:
  3. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Nice one Jimmy!
  4. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

very cool,now that you started this you gotta show ALL the buildings named after gauge members :mrgreen: :rolleyes:--josh
  5. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Wickman ....Lynn , started this layout (its really a big Diorama , I like building scenery more than running trains ) determined to use no commercial materials other than track and rolling stock so each and everthing is scratch built, those buildings are hand cut
  6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey..!! That building is great...But the rock formations in the background are FANTASTIC..!!
  7. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

(Previous post continues...) Any chance of some close-ups of the rocks and a "How I did this.."..??
  8. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

I had the privilage of seeing the layout before at a Saturday Afternoon Meeting.

jimmybeersa makes lots of stuff that looks super!
  9. scubadude

scubadude Member

Great scene:thumb: It made me curious as to how many other buildings have been named after Gaugers:confused:
  10. wickman

wickman Member

Well I must say you can be considered a scratch build artist , nice job . And the rocks and back drop look great as well.:wave:
  11. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Steamhead .....Gus I took some pictures as I was building those rock formations...will have get them to an exceptable size after I dig them out, will post them on the weekend One thought ,I try to follow nature...rock strata is due to a past event in the earths forming ,so following a strata line is important as is all other form of vegetation and water flow in my huble oppion
  12. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey Jimmie...Thanks for the extra effort..!! Look forward to seeing your pics. :thumb:
  13. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

For Steamhead ...and others...Rocks

Gus the attached are not the rock formation as shown in the photo of Catts Fish Ind. but this is how I go about it
    My rocks are lumps of polly stirene ( packing from the computer shop )
    glued together and held with tooth picks
    Then a coating of Dry wall plaster is applied ,if you mix the plaster with water that has been mixed with dishwasher liqued it slows the drying process and the you can carve strata , I use a stiff bristle brush to stipple the rocks to avoid that flat smooth plaster look, apply a coat of flat white paint and then coulor with the shade of rocks you want to depict
    The photos are of my Coal mine diorama which I did in a rather hurry

Attached Files:

14. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi Jimmy...Thanks for the pics. That gives me a pretty good idea of how to go about doing this. The plaster that you use is that the pre-mixed type, or is it dry, and you mix it with water..?? I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
  15. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Gus its dry power ,Called Rhinocrete here its ordinary drywalling plaster,
    put the water in first and then add the powder so this way you can control the consitancy of the mix I sometimes add bits of pollystyrene after I have plastered to make projecting rocks and then plaster over them