More silver cardboard balloons for water

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I found this silver balloon on the internet:

small_balloon.JPG

It has a real good ripply texture and has more shine than the larger balloon from my earlier post. It is available from:

www.orientaltrading.com

You get 12 for $3.95 but the shipping is $6.95. About the cost of any other water method.

Just a thought
Harold

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Harold,

That just struck a nerve in my brain. There are many foods that have a piece of cardboard with silver on one side between the jar and the lid. Even some nut cans have this stuff on their easy-open cans. And the price is right too.... It may not be big enough for O scale, but surly enough for N.:D

Keep these little gems coming, we all gain from what you're doing. Thanks...:thumb::thumb:

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Here is a piece of the cardboard balloon temprorarily glued to my
old retaining pond:

balloon_retaining_pond.JPG

The food containers usually lack rippling, I got a bigger cardboard ballon at a party store and the texture wasn't as good. These are ten inchers.

Harold

Harold

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
The only thing I can see about using that balloon it unnatural in looks unless its a man made pond. :( Also a pond that size would need a inflow and outflow of water if not then the pond would eventually dry up with no inflow of water or would flood without the outflow..Now if that pond is fed by a underground spring it would still need a outflow even if its no more then tile running to the nearest ditch line..Savvy? IMHO all of this needs to be figured in when we design a pond. :D Still a great idea that is workable. :thumb:

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have seen spring feed ponds without an outlet. An extreme example: a desert oasis

Harold

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
:thumb:
hminky said:
I have seen spring feed ponds without an outlet. An extreme example: a desert oasis

Harold

True,but the sand usually sucks up the overflow or it evaporates from the heat. :D Now exactly how many of us model a desert? :confused: :eek: :D
Again close attention to details is a must for better modeling that leads to a highly detailed and greater looking layout.. :thumb: :D

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
close attention to details is a must for better modeling

That is why I am looking for a better way to make water. Resin on black looks like resin on black. Most model water in real life doesn't look like water. Looks good in photographs.

Here is Dunrobin Lake in the Canadian Province of Ontario, a large artesion spring fed lake with no outlets.

dunrobin_lake.jpg

Here is my rendition of rushing water using Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and silicon caulk for the white water:

cars_on_water.JPG

I have web articles with my attempts to build a layout at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/4x8/

I do pay attention to details

Just a thought
Harold

P.S. The tunnel portal is too big because we are in the process of coverting from On30 to OO scale 1870's standard gauge

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Harold,Is that a settlement pond of some type? Is that a inlet drain pipe about the center top of the pond? What color is that water or is it just muddy? :confused:
Anyway,I like your rushing water..You are correct..A lot of model water I have seen to blue or to black..Again I like the idea of using those balloons for water as it seems easy to use and should be easy to cut into other shapes.. :thumb:
======================================================
You said:I do pay attention to details.
Harold,I did not mean to imply you didn't pay attention to details..I said
"Again close attention to details is a must for better modeling that leads to a highly detailed and greater looking layout" as a general comment aim at nobody in particular but as a general statement for all.. :D Sorry to offend you as that was not my intentions. :eek:ops: :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I was going to say that it looks like an old gravel pit. Having read the history (at the link provided above) it is indeed a "man-made" lake, created by excavating the overburden of soil and sand. The "environmental committment" is a bit of a joke in my opinion, as old gravel pits redeveloped as housing almost always leads to groundwater pollution and associated problems for the environment and residents' previously "pristine" wells... The water that is in the lake is the same water that is in the tap...

[/rant]

Andrew