More Layout Progress WooHoo!

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I'm just so happy with the way this is going, this being my first layout, I just have to show it to yall. I'm steadily making progress. Got quite a bit more track down. Have been running some trains and everything is doing well.

I've got a #22 feeder up through the foam to every piece of flex track and the switches have feeders also. The feeders are tied to short pieces of #18 solid which are then tied to my #12 bus which extends all along the layout.

Attachments

• 0 layout4.JPG
    0 layout4.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 0 layout3.JPG
    0 layout3.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 0 layout2.JPG
    0 layout2.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 243
  • 0 layout1.JPG
    0 layout1.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 242

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Gary S. said:
I've got a #22 feeder up through the foam to every piece of flex track and the switches have feeders also. The feeders are tied to short pieces of #18 solid which are then tied to my #12 bus which extends all along the layout.
You know.... a guy could make a fortune just selling wire to model railroaders.....

:D

Great pics.
Looks like a great layout in progress! :thumb:

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Cool stuff, chief.

I had a set of those Walthers CPC Airslide hoppers back when I was in HO scale ten years ago. I wonder what happened to them... :rolleyes:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
railohio said:
I had a set of those Walthers CPC Airslide hoppers back when I was in HO scale ten years ago. I wonder what happened to them... :rolleyes:

You think you still have them? I would possibly buy them from you if you can dig them up. And... you have a very discerning eye if you were able to pick out that CPC airslide from such a small pic.

One other thing... I am considering running trains in both directions on this layout. ;)

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Heretic! You can't run trains the "other way" unless you're in the southern hemisphere. :D

As for the CPC hoppers, they were sold off when I switched to N scale back around 8th grade. :D

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
railohio said:
As for the CPC hoppers, they were sold off when I switched to N scale back around 8th grade. :D

Darn. The one I have was found at the LHS, already built, was probably used by someone else and then sold to the shop.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
rogerw said:
Gary what is the radius on the turns above?

the big turn in the corner is 32" with easements. The rest are #4 Atlas turn-outs to the spurs. The small curve on the spur going into the brown building is about 18" radius. The small curve on the spur at the silo complex is about 20".

I will be running 40 foot cars and Geeps, and this is an industrial switching layout, so I shuold have no problems. Also, I made the spurs plenty long and straight so my uncoupling magnets would work well. So far they are excellent! The long spurs also allow me to build larger industries, which in my opinion, look better.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Thanks Josh. I'm excited by the progress, I just wish I had more time to get stuff accomplished. Somehoe, it always seems that my JOB gets in the way of my hobbies. :curse:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Another thing besides the JOB that is slowing my progress is trying to figure out where the uncoupling magnets/electromagnets need to go. It takes a lot of thought trying all the different switching scenarios, run-arounds, all that, to decide where to put the magnets.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Yeah, I am building this in the garage and will have to put up with the dust and stuff, hopefully it won't be too bad. The great thing about an around-the-room layout is it doesn't take up hardly any floorspace. I can still park both vehicles in the garage, and the space under the layout is used for storage.

I would rather have the layout in an air conditioned space, but that just wasn't feasible.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Thank you for sharing the pics of your progress. Since you posted your trackplan, I am really curious to see how your layout develops. I like those shelf layouts. Looking very good so far, can’t wait to see more.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Thanks everyone for the comments. The brown building is the only one that is near completion. Quite a bit of time was spent kitbashing and painting that thing. But I enjoyed it, hopefully I will eventually get the rest of my structures up to that level.

This weekend I am free as far as i know, so I should make some major progress on the layout. I'll probably get the interchange yard completed. As for the other end of the layout by the brown building, I haven't fully committed to where the uncoupling magnets need to be, so that has been holding me up.