Modular Standard for the Gauge

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
sumpter250 said:
I just curve the tracks sharply, to converge to, and then diverge from, the bridges. :eek: :cool: :wave:

Interesting thought as I am designing a module with a gauntlet track over a single bridge (sometimes the guys at the club just hate me ;) )...

From the Railway Standards Association of America handbook...

GAUNTLET TRACK:

2. An offset track...in which a second track goes through a bridge designed for one track. A turnout frog with no switch points is used outside each end of the bridge. If original track having no turnouts is used outside each end of bridge, gauntlet track will have less side clearance ( on one side ) than original track. Because centerline of gauntlet track is offset from centerline of bridge ( or when both tracks are equally off-centered ) care must be exercised when evaluating the effects of a heavily loaded car on the bridge structure when such a car is using off-centered track.

Pics will follow...uh...sometime this summer? :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
railwaybob said:
If you're considering standards for The Gauge, take a look at some of the standards that have already been established by other clubs or groups. For example, the NMRA standards only deal with double-track mainline. Nothing personal, gang, but, how boring!

I don't think the NMRA standards are just setting standards for two mainlines, and suggesting that no other tracks should be used. Our club standards specify the specs for the mainlines. For "optional auxilliary tracks" (oat) anything goes. The mains are speced to allow virtually any locomotive or rolling stock to work. If I want to put industrial trackage on my module that has such tight radius's that only small switchers will operate on it, that's ok. Most of our modules have a siding with #6 or #8 turnouts leading off the main, but beyond that, things can get tight. It is not boring!

Hey, chill, Randy!! :D :D :D

The purpose of modules is to allow the group to assemble and operate a
large portable and flexible layout in which everyone has a part. Without
an interfacing standard, it would be impossible!! :thumb:

Of course the NMRA isn't trying to tell you how to build your own layout, just
recommending a way that you can play with others!! :D :D :D