modeling on the road

N

nachoman

Does anyone bring anything to do for when stuck in a hotel in the evenings on a business trip? I brought a bunch of figures to paint once, and for my next trip I am thinking of a structure or two...

kevin

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Only reading material for me too. I had considered taking some freight cars and supplies to do some weatheirng, but that was right after the Gatorade bottle / airlines incident, and I figured the paint bottles might be a no-no.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't think I would try to bring any models to work on on a plane. I think the exacto knives, glue, paint, etc would not be legal to carry on and I'm not sure that a model under construction could be packed well enough not to render a finished model back into a kit or worse. A couple of years ago while I was on disability, my wife was sent for a wound care class in Las Vegas. The hospital flew her to and from Vegas for the class. She was there from Sunday evening until the following Saturday morning. She made arangements for me to check into her room while she was in class on that Tuesday and I drove up to Vegas and spent the rest of the week there. I took a car load of model projects with me and spent the days working on them while my wife was in class, and while she did her homework after class. Then we spent the evenings seeing the sights. I think the only way I would try to do any modeling on a trip is if I was driving, not flying.

N

nachoman

Yeah, those airline restricitons are a PITA.

But gas prices have kinda killed the great american road trip as well.

kevin

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Most business class hotels and motels have some sort of broadband connection these days, and it is usually free. I always take a laptop on any trip I take. Surf's up! :thumb:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I used to do a lot of extended trips to Europe and South America. Three to four months usually. I took a locomotive and several cars, sectional track and had a 220 volt power supply for foreign use. That was back in the days of relative sanity; however. I made a point of searching for every hobby shop in most countries that I visited.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Plenty of books. I rode Amtrak two nights to the west coast in December and had plenty of reading material packed. There exists a vast number of railroad books that are ignored by the majority of railfans. Dig around online and pick up a few for your next trip.