charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Model: Sd Kfz 165 Hummel
Publisher: Modelik, 9/03
Scale: 1:25
Format: Hardcopy
Designer: Waldemar Rychard

What a difference a year makes - having been underwhelmed by Modelik's Pz IV the Hummel model is in a different class. The Hummel was an interim solution to provide mobile artillery for the Wehrmacht. It was based on a modified Pz IV chassis with an open top gun compartment - think of an Su-76 with a 150mm gun. The name Hummel was actually banned by Adolf Hitler because he thought it inappropriate that a fighting vehicle should be called "Bumble bee" (thanks Achtung Panzer).

Fourteen pages of cardstock, 6 pages of frames and roll up parts on 80gsm, 4 pages of Polish instructions and 5 pages of construction diagrams. The instructions are pretty comprehensive even if you (as I do) have to figure out the construction from the diagrams.

Print quality is excellent, very fine lines and accurate colour registration.
The model represents an Eastern front Hummel in 1944 (if I can figure out the Polish correctly). The print colour might seem a little dark for dunkelgelb but I think most people could live with it. There's no weathering on the model as we expect to find on the Halinski kits.

There is a partial interior - it seems as if Modelik's policy is to provide something underneath the opening hatches without modelling the whole interior - the Jagdpanzer IV is similar. In the Hummel's case there is a transmission but no engine model. The open fighting/gun compartment has a lot of internal detail. The complete 150mm howitser installation is modelled right down to the trunion supports - seriously impressive.

The suspension and tracks appear to be accurately modelled. There is a choice of building the tracks from 2 bands of card or built up from individual links. The build by link design looks simpler than Halinski's but appears to give a good result.

I don't think this is a beginner's model but should be fine for someone with some experience. There aren't any other kits around of the Hummel and this model seems to me a good step before taking on something really hard like Halinski's Panther. I'm really looking forward to building this one.

Instructions: A (based on the diagrams - can't judge on the text)
Paper quality: B
Level of detail: A
Printing quality: A
Artwork: B (weathering would be nice)
Value for money: B
Skill level: Intermediate to expert

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Thanks for the review, Charlie. I have been wondering if the model lives up to the hype that PMI gave it when they added the kit to their new models section. I've been about to send them an order (she-who-must-be-obeyed wants the Stonehenge kit they just added to their line), so will use it as a good excuse to get the Hummel.

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I've updated the Hummel review with images. On revisiting this model I'm even more impressed with the level of detail and the engineering of this model. I think Halinski has a real challenger in the form of the new Modelik AFV kits.

Regards,

Charlie