modelik paint match (hummel,puma)

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone who has these two kits have a paint match for the two vehicles i usally would mix to match as i go in designers gouache/watercolor but for these two ill be using avantcards nuts and diamond plate which will reqire full painting as apposed to edge touching
im looking for

base color for both vehicles
both colors from hummels camo(dark green,earth brown)

in acrylics and emamel
thanks

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
The basic scheme for 1943 onwards vehicles was:
RAL7028 (Dunkelgelb) base coat with RAL6003 (Ovligrun) and RAL8017(Rotbraun) patterns.

Unfortunately the RAL colours changed after WW2 so there's no definitive guide to these colours since no colour chips or charts survived. Don color (www.jpsmodell.de) may be the closest we can get to the original colours - most of the major model paint manufacturers have their versions of the WW2 RAL colours but some of these are pretty approximate.

Another take on the RAL colours is at http://www.afrikakorps.org/ralcolors.htm.

In reality there was probably a lot of variation in the RAL colours applied to vehicles since the paints were made by different manufacturers and processes. I think the bottom line is that there aren't "correct" colours - a reasonable approximation is the best you can hope for.

Regards,

Charlie

J

Jim Nunn

Nullmoon

I can only speak to the Puma as I do not have the Hummel.

The upper parts of the model are very yellow in appearance while the undersides are closer to the dark tan color. When finished the model was too yellow for my taste. Too “weather” the model I applied a watercolor wash of Burnt Umber and Yellow Ochre. I applied darker colors to the seams on the fenders and such.

I also use Watercolors to “Paint” large surfaces I can only advise that you add a drop or two of liquid soap to your water and apply the watercolor with a fairly thick consistency. Additional coats of thinner paint will even out the color. I have no problems using water colors on laser cut parts. Though I do air brush track links rather then using a brush to apply the water colors.

Watch out for the fenders on the Puma the rear section is about 2 mm longer then the underside and you will need to fix it.

Jim Nunn

Status
Not open for further replies.