Model Shop shunning ???

DavRed

Jul 4, 2004
London UK
David I recently ordered some live steam castings from the states.The postage was reasonable and the items arrived at UK customs in 3 days. Could'nt do better if I ordered from here.It took me 14 days to get customs to release them, I paid the charges on demand, and even with post and customs it was still worth it as I saved about 30%.

I have ordered other things from the states and had no problems from their side of the pond just this side.

From another David

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
David,
I sent you a PM. There have been some good responses to your thread. I guess there are just some things (fees, taxes, import duties, etc.) that we have to live with.
We do have choices, where bad business practices impede service.
Pete

Guys , I am just starting out here (in the hobby business) and I have been in other retail businesses.
I try to give personal attention to everyone.
I have been doing it in my career in the telephone industry for 32 years.
In that time I have found it easy to please a customer in that industry , because all they want is to see and have some human contact. The same applies with online businesses (I believe).
Please give my online shop a look and see if it is of intrest to all of you and if so and you are happy please pass it on!
Thanks in advance, Mike & Robin Fifer
Fifer Hobby Supply

:wave: :thumb: :)

Davidglinn

Sep 3, 2004
Neath, South Wales U.K.
For the info of all, I eventually ordered some items from IHC via their website, and happily, they arrived all nicely packed and in full working order. The price was very nice, too, until the Customs people slapped their charges on, and also the handling fee from the deliverers. I still got the items at a very much reduced price to what I can buy them in the U.K.
Keep 'em rolling.
dgd

Isambard

Aug 26, 2004
Canada
Davidglinn said:
I have recently sent several emails to a number of model shops in the USA from the UK and it seems that most of them cannot even bother to reply to me. The only reply I have had was very curt and only provided some of the information I requested. One site even had a message saying that if there were any complaints I could email the boss. So I did and he never replied either !
It is/was my intention to purchase a number of items, which although would not permit the shop owners to go into early retirement, would certainly help pay the rent. (about $100 worth of goods.)
I am wondering if there is any particular reason why they do not respond. The shops advertise in USA magazines and indicate that they ship internationally, so why don't they respond ?
Any ideas ? Does it date back to the old colonial days when we Brits decided to let you rebels loose ?
Please respond or I will go nuts.
Thanks
David UK
I had a no response from Bachmann in Philadelphia to an Email message so I decided to send a snailmail letter, to which they did respond promptly enough with requested parts pricing information. I then realized they had a 1-800 number (toll free in North America) and used that without problems to order and receive the parts here in eastern Canada within two weeks. But this still begs the question as to why reputable suppliers like Bachmann (or lesser suppliers) bother listing their Email addresses if they are not going to respond promptly and politely to E mail messages received.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I only e mail 3 local shops that I know will answer their e mail.The other shops I just visit in person.Need I say who gets most of my hobby $$? I only deal with 4 on line shops so e mailing them isn't a problem.3 of the 4 will answer the same day.The other the next day. :thumb:

NEMMRRC

Aug 23, 2004
Isambard said:
I had a no response from Bachmann in Philadelphia to an Email message so I decided to send a snailmail letter, to which they did respond promptly enough ... But this still begs the question as to why reputable suppliers like Bachmann (or lesser suppliers) bother listing their Email addresses if they are not going to respond promptly and politely to E mail messages received.
With spam so prevalent these days, corporate organizations' IT groups have enacted strict rules on e-mails. It may be possible their own rules that try to protect them from spam are blocking legitimate requests received by e-mail.

Jaime

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think another problem may be that the hobby shops are owned and operated by old geezers like me. They may use the computer to do payroll because the bookkeepper is used to a computer. They may use a computer instead of an old cash register, but they just don't do internet.

Isambard

Aug 26, 2004
Canada
Russ Bellinis said:
I think another problem may be that the hobby shops are owned and operated by old geezers like me. They may use the computer to do payroll because the bookkeepper is used to a computer. They may use a computer instead of an old cash register, but they just don't do internet.
Well I'm an old geezer too, but if those hobby shop owners are smart enough to use a computer, why don't they smarten up on their customer service and either delete their Email addresses or start answering messages received? A rhetorical question which I don't expect you to answer Russ, but it would be interesting to hear from some of those LHS old geezers in question, wouldn't it? Hah! Fat chance!
;)

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I emailed BLI about a problem with their Hudson when it first came out, I didn't hear from them. I called them, toll free, a few days later, told the man I spoke to about having sent the email, he apoligized and recommended calling. I know here at work the person talking to me on the phone is getting my attention and response, while the email request can wait till I have time. You can say that's poor business and I really can't argue, but that's the way it is.